Windows 7 Windows 7 64bit. Notification erea icon help. Need to remove icon, but i can't.

Master Hacker

I have windows 7 64 bit. In the bottom right on the taskbarthere is an arrow pointing upwards, click on and a small menu comes up, then click on the words "Customize...". Then there is a bigger menu, there you can customize the icons that show up to allert you. I have uninstalled a program earlier today '[12/10/2011]' but now the name of the program stil apears in that big menu. I have run CCleaner to remove leftover fragments from my registry, but that didn't work. I have also used Revo uninstaller but that haven't work either I have also:
1: Run Disk Defragmentation
2: Run Disk Cleanup
I really want that name of the program gone. Please help me remove it.:(

Hi Master Hacker and Welcome to The Forum.

CCleaner gives you an option to clear the System tray (Notification area) icons:

CCTrayNotify.png

But in my experience, on Windows 7, the CCleaner method of clearing the notification area is a bit hit or miss. The manual method of using a small registry hack and then stopping and starting Explorer however, works every time. Copy and save this code as a .reg file.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify]
"IconStream"=-
"PastIconsStream"=-
Open Task Manager (R-click taskbar for a Start option) to the processes tab in preparation. Now merge the .reg file you created into your registry.
Back to the Task Manager. Under the processes tab highlight Explorer.exe and click on end process. Then on the Task Manager menu bar click File then New Task (Run...). Type Explorer.exe in the Open: window and press enter. Be aware that both methods restore default settings to all the notification area icons so your display preferences will need to be re-set.

Last edited:
Back