Windows 7 Windows 7 and Mail

keowee96

Have been using Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate for a year or so and am surprised to learn that Windows Mail is not included in Windows 7. When you install 7 over Vista (not a clean update) - Will the mail files created by Vista be available
(readable) when the installation is complete.

Have been using Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate for a year or so and am surprised to learn that Windows Mail is not included in Windows 7. When you install 7 over Vista (not a clean update) - Will the mail files created by Vista be available
(readable) when the installation is complete.

Yes.... See my third blog.

Windows Mail isn't in Windows 7 because you can download Windows Live Mail from Windows Live, I think that's the reason! =)

That is correct. Microsoft considered that Windows mail gave the appearance of being only a rebadged Outlook Express (which it was). As they were in the stages of releasing Windows LIve, I would imagine that was why it was dropped.
What you can do, for your convenience, is go into the advanced maintenance options of Windows mail and create a new mail box on another partition, (and start using it), or hard disk, where it will not be affected by your future Windows 7 instalaltion. When you finally, if that is your choice, install Windows Live Mail, do the same but point it to your created folder. It will then pick up the entire contents and use it in Windows Live and you can carry on without interruption..

After posting the question re Windows Mail - I woke up and of course found I had recently downloaded Windows Live
and subsequently found Windows Live Mail. I transferred all my mail and contacts to this application. Can I now just upgrade to Windows 7 - over my Vista Ultimate - and be assured that the Windows Live Mail will be there after the installation?

I have never tried the procedure of overwriting Vista for an install of Windows 7, but maybe a reader can confirm that it would retain the information. I would urgently suggest, however, that you adopt the procedure I outlined. Difference now is that you have Windows live installed. Create a folder which will be your permanent Mail folder. Now, you may not know yet, buy you can bring back the old menu bar.go along the top bar and click the small square (the second icon), and click "show all menus". Now you have the file menu bar back. Now go through the path -TOOLS - OPTIONS - ADVANCED, and select maintenance. Now choose the Tool folder option and point it to the folder you have created. On restart, it will pick up all your available boxes and from then on use them. This has the double advantage that, in subsequnt reinstalls or recovers, none of the contents of your MailBox will be lost

After posting the question re Windows Mail - I woke up and of course found I had recently downloaded Windows Live
and subsequently found Windows Live Mail. I transferred all my mail and contacts to this application. Can I now just upgrade to Windows 7 - over my Vista Ultimate - and be assured that the Windows Live Mail will be there after the installation?

You would be wise to backup to backup your current mail, settings and accounts first - to be safe.

This free app. will do it for you:

d/l the FREE windows live mail backup from here:

Download Email Backup Utilities, Email backup software - StaticBackup Inc.

Back