Windows 7 Windows 7 and RAM problem

gpc

Hi all.
I have yesterday install windows 7 on my computer, the latest version RTM - 7260 x86. Now i have some problem's with RAM. If i have 1 stick of RAM in computer ( ddr 512 mb) the system works fine. When i insert another stick of RAM (512mb) then windows 7 freeze after about 60 seconds from seeing the desktop. Anybody know what can be a problem?
MEMTEST don't recognized any errors.

If the sticks are not compatible, you can have this problem.
You can't just put together any 2 sticks of ram. Purchasing them in Matched pairs is the best way to be sure.

But, how long did you let memtest run? It should run a minimum of 4 hours for good quality test.
You should also make sure it is running extended tests, and also run windows memory diag (hit t to run extended tests) for min 4 hours. If you get no errors on either tests after this, you can be sure they are ok, but this won't tell you if they are compatible.

Also, swap slots around till you find a combo that works. Replace the ram if needed.

Check BIOS for settings, timings etc.

Also, swap slots around till you find a combo that works. Replace the ram if needed.

I'd try this. Switch the RAM out a piece at a time. If your computer boots fine with both individual sticks of memory, your best bet would be to buy a matching pair. At least, that's what I would do.

^^^ All good advice.
If you have 4 slots for your RAM, check your manual as the slots may have to be populated in a particular order.

I think there is a problem in windows 7.. Becaouse otherwise my RAM wouldn't work in XP? And why freeze when boot up everything?

I think there is a problem in windows 7.. Becaouse otherwise my RAM wouldn't work in XP? And why freeze when boot up everything?
You got that right! The build you have downloaded from a third-party source is not neccessarily perfect. It may have errors inherited from previous builds.

Stop using hacked/compiled from different sources (ie. VHD and official public releases) and stick with the official last full build that I know of 7229 or the official MS Download of 7100.

Back