Windows 7 Windows 7 and wired router (worked on XP, doesn't on W7)

oldfart

Just changed my old Win XP for a Win 7 setup. After booting up and trying to connect to the Internet for Win 7 updates, kept getting the msg 'Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration' from the diagnostic tool in Win 7.
I simply connected my Win XP router (Asus AAM 6000EV) to the Win 7 assuming it would be recognised without going through the Win 7 network setup wizard. Tried entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of Win 7 pc and got bounced to the diagnosic tool again.

I reverted to XP machine, reconnected the router and immediately got happily back onto the internet. Also checked and successfully accessed the router via 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

Reason I reused my router is because it performed very well, despite being 6 years old and was of course already correctly configured for my ISP account.
Win 7 is just another OS, so can't believe it's just because it's a wired router (most wireless routers have wired capability too anyway). Other suggestion is that Win 7 only supports 'compatible' routers - can't believe that either.

Help ! Don't want to have to buy an unnecessary new router if I can avoid it. I have posted this same problem on windowsbbs forum, so if you're one and the same - sorry ! If not, I can use all the help I can get.

Hello and Welcome to the forums.
The first thing to try of course is to determine the exact manufacturer and model name and number of your network adapter and use the vendor's website to insure that you have the most current up to date Windows 7 version of their driver for your device.
Another thing to try would be to manually configure static values for the IPv4 properties of your network adapter and see if that helps.
Using only the minimal information you've provided in the post above I might suggest;
IP Address = 192.168.1.222
SubnetMask = 255.255.255.0 (should auto populate with tab key)
Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers
Preferred 8.8.8.8
Alternate 8.8.4.4
See if that helps and if you need any additonal help regarding these settings post back and let us known.
Couldn't find out much on the router. It seems to be particularly unique to users geographically located in China. So the manuals and firmware that ASUS has seems to be specific to that area, with warning about if you didn't get it from an ISP there don't use the firmware update. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- it's actually very old anyway and probably wouldn't help much.
There of course could be any number of third party software products that may also be impacting your issue. So any additional information you'd be willing to provide might prove helpful. Like a zipped up copy of msinfo32 attached to your next post.

Did all the above that and also (advised by my ISP) opened Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN and checked 'Automatically Detect Settings'. That did the trick and I'm now online (except my ISP has just done an update which has caused mammoth problems to all users - but that's another story. Many thanks from an old man!

Just changed my old Win XP for a Win 7 setup. After booting up and trying to connect to the Internet for Win 7 updates, kept getting the msg 'Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration' from the diagnostic tool in Win 7.
You are quite welcome, from an equally old man. Although the LAN settings trick doesn't explain the solution to the problem quoted above from you original post. Anyhow, very glad to hear that you've managed to resolve your issue and thanks very much for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back