Windows 7 Windows 7 Beta (7000) x64 installation hangs

Pascal

Hey guys,

Trying to install W7 7000 (Beta) x64 on my older machine : AMD 64x2 4400+ (socket 939), Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe, ATI X1900 XT 512 MB, 2 GB RAM, HD 250GB SATA2. Starting the installation, I see the two phases of 'Windows is loading files' (grey bars at the bottom of the screen). Then Windows Starts, got he message "Windows Starts" and the first orange pixel of the soon to be W7 animation. But nothing else, install hangs there for hours.

Did anybody experience the same with a similar configuration ? Tried with a different Motherboard, and it seems to work fine... So I guess problem comes from the MOBO ?

Hey guys,

Trying to install W7 7000 (Beta) x64 on my older machine : AMD 64x2 4400+ (socket 939), , ATI X1900 XT 512 MB, 2 GB RAM, HD 250GB SATA2. Starting the installation, I see the two phases of 'Windows is loading files' (grey bars at the bottom of the screen). Then Windows Starts, got he message "Windows Starts" and the first orange pixel of the soon to be W7 animation. But nothing else, install hangs there for hours.

Did anybody experience the same with a similar configuration ? Tried with a different Motherboard, and it seems to work fine... So I guess problem comes from the MOBO ?

Since the Install worked OK in another MOBO your assumption is quite right that it is not a bad System DVD disc that is the problem and it is a device integrated to the motherboard Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe or more likely your ATIX1900 XT 512 Video card that makes the Setup hanging at that time. From your SPECS I could get details about your ASUS MoBO from Asus Support site but since you did not give the name of the board that worked , could not take a shot at an answer with some more confidence. I bet your Video card has no VISTA supportive drivers or Windows 7 compatible drivers. ATI website dealing with your Videocard may tell you more. I think the system is trying to install drivers for your Videocard and failing to find one despite hours of "search" To disprove or prove this assumption if you have another Video card with Win7 or even VISTA x64 drivers, try that.

Thanks for the reply cmn.

Actually the MOBO that worked was a Abit AT8 CrossFire edition.

And seeing that 7 was not installing, I tried installing Vista x64, and it installed without any problem... So there must be something on the MOBO that hangs 7 installation. Not sure what yet.

EDIT (Update): just downloaded build 7068, seems to be working now (at least I am at the "Expanding files" phase). Maybe a BIOS / 7 build 7000 incompatibility that MS fixed in last build... Now if only I could upgrade bios to test this theory :)

Update : installation did work all right... But computer is freezing as soon as 7 build 7068 starts, at the exact same point (after first pixel drawing of the new "Windows starts"animation)...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply cmn.

Actually the MOBO that worked was a Abit AT8 CrossFire edition.

And seeing that 7 was not installing, I tried installing Vista x64, and it installed without any problem... So there must be something on the MOBO that hangs 7 installation. Not sure what yet.

EDIT (Update): just downloaded build 7068, seems to be working now (at least I am at the "Expanding files" phase). Maybe a BIOS / 7 build 7000 incompatibility that MS fixed in last build... Now if only I could upgrade bios to test this theory :)

Update : installation did work all right... But computer is freezing as soon as 7 build 7068 starts, at the exact same point (after first pixel drawing of the new "Windows starts"animation)...

If VISTA 64 bit was able to boot and function on the system with Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe MoBo and Ati x1900 XT Video card, check the BIOS and disable one of the 2 NICs this board has and see if it will finish the installation. From my experience the setup is held up by Video or Network card in most situations. Since you are edging out the Video card from cosideration, you might try to reduce the possiblity by removing one of the Network controllers from being the possible culprit.

I will follow your progress with interest.

Hey cmn,

What a day lol ! I finally installed XP to be able to update BIOS (with Asus Update - had no floppy and no USB stick around). Now that I upgraded BIOS to 707, everything is working properly... I am still thinking it was a MoBo + GPU + Bios issue.

Back
Top Bottom