Windows 7 Windows 7: black screen before setup is complete

sevensc

I have been trying to get Windows 7 RC1 up and running on my my rig but have been met with a black screen the very first time the system attempts to boot into windows, but before the setup is officially complete (meaning i can't get into safe mode at all).

I have installed onto a clean hard drive. I have a Q9550, 9800gtx+ and 8bg of ddr2. I have been able to run build 7000 of windows 7.

I have already tried installing with only my mouse, keyboard and 1 monitor attached to the computer (the only "solution" i have come across so far) - no success.

Btw, the black screen is all black - no watermark, no nothing. I have also let the system sit for over 8 hours on the black screen and tried installing/booting with just 1 RAM module.

I have now tried with a different video card (X700 - vga port) and even re-downloaded the ISO and burned it witha different program. Still the same issue. After it does the "completing installation" step, the screen goes black.

Any ideas at all would be great - I'm drawing a blank at this point.

I don't mean to brush you off, but there are already several threads regarding this issue.

please click on the links at the bottom of this page.

I would, however recommend you pull out about 4 GB of RAM (or more) and give that a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already read dozens of related post and none of them have had a solution that works for me.

I've tried 1 (down from 4) RAM module.
I've tried a different video card.
I've tried a different optical drive.
I've tried a different hard drive.
I've changed BIOS setting many times.
I've re-downloaded and re-burned the ISO with a different application on the slowest speed.
I've used an LCD panel and a CRT monitor.
I've tried VGA, DVI and HDMI connections.
I've tried USB and PS2 keyboards/mice.

If you have an ideas, I'd be happy to try them.

You've about covered it all,

But have you changed jumper settings or swapped the SATA cables?

When I swapped drives, I swapped cables too. Is there an optimal jumper setting for installing? I have them in the same position I've used for XP, VISTA, Beta 7000, and OS X.

I'm not sure about an optimal setting, but I would not choose the cable select option.

Could you give me some specific details about your system

The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Are you suing the official RC directly from Microsoft?

Ok, I filled in my computers specs. I'll also post them here:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS4 ATX LGA775 X48 DDR2 2PCI-E
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce 9800GTX+ 738MHZ 1GB 2.2GHZ 256BIT DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
Memory: (2) OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T240 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1920X1200 20000:1 5MS VGA DVI HDMI HDCP
Optical Drives: LG GBC-H20L Black 6X BD-R/2X BD-RE BLU-RAY Reader 16X DVD+RW/-RW

I am attempting to use 64-bit RC1 downloaded directly from Microsoft. I had been using v7000 64-bit (also direct from the Microsoft site).

Last edited:
When first installing, did you choose upgrade or 'clean" install?

I can't understand why your system would be doing this after you've already taken all the right steps.

My only suggestion would be to see if you can re-install the earlier version, then see if there is a chipset and BIOS update for your system.

then try the install again (yes, I'd burn another ISO on a good quality name brand DVD). I was having these issues with those cheap no-name DVD's when i tried installing the 64-bit edition.

I've been doing clean installs (about 20 of them at this point).

I have two copies of RC1 on verbatim brand DVD (one on a single layer burn on a DL DVD).

I'm about 99% sure I had the latest chipset update, though I may be missing something on the BIOS front - I'll try checking that out tomorrow and I'll update you when I can. Thanks for your help thus far.

Ok, so v7000 installed in one shot - no issues at all, and it showed me where the actual issue is happening.

Purring "completing installation", the resolution changes from the default 640x480 to the monitors native resolution - this is the exact spot where I get the black screen with RC1.

I then checked updates (had all chipset) and there were 3 bios downloads. I tried them all (even the beta one) and had the same issue every time. It seem that I have eliminated everything on my end, and it may be an issue with the operation system.

So another half dozen attempts have been made with minor changes to hardware and bios configs, and still nothing. I have no idea what to do, and I'm worried about spending hundreds of dollars on an OS that might not even install.

Personally, I would run full Hardware Diags....

Seagate Seatools for HDD

Windows Memory Diags (hit "t" for extended tests),,, let them run no less than 6 hours on all 4 sticks of ram
If no errors found, you can be pretty sure the RAM is ok, but I would then run MEMTest for the same amount of time
If no error again, then all is good.

If Gigabyte has Mobo Tests, run them several times.
If all is good.

Talk to Gigabyte, it is probably a problem with their Drivers, BIOS, or something on the Mobo or Video card, or Both.
Yes, it may not seem that way, but chances are, it is. Check Gigabyte forums for your model Mobo and Video card.

Please, don't assume that just cause it doesn't work for you, means it's an OS problem. most of the time it isn't.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to come across as blaming the OS, just displaying my fear of spend large amounts of money on something that won't work for me (for whatever reason).

And it seems the Mobo in conjunction with Windows 7 RC1 is the error.

I've run about 8 hours of memory test and all looks good. HD tests are also positive. And I tried a third video card with no improvement.

Seeing that I can install XP, Vista, earlier versions of Windows 7 and OSX (with an e-fix chip) the problem has to be the way the RC interacts with my Mobo.

I'm going to have to do some digging around and maybe talk with Gigabyte before finding out what I can do from here.

I'll post again, hopefully with a solution, when I find out more. Thanks for the help.

Back