Windows 7 WINDOWS 7 brings my CPU TO 100% HELP!

zarl

Hi everyone!

i just got my copy of WINDOWS 7 today and i did a full reboot.

I notice that i cant run any of my software due to my 100% cpu usage..
i barely got any software on it,

-Avir anti virus
-Win rar
- ableton live 7

so there is barely anything on there..my windows 7 is slow... So i been doing research on internet about this.
i looked at process explorer and I notice the section System idle has a high percentage ,around 80%.. But i cant figure anything out yet ..

i have a 1.8 ghz pentium 4 - 2 gig ram - radeon 128mb 9600Xt graghic card
-another thing, i heard people posting solution caused by the POWER USAGE.. but i cant figure it out

anybody able to help me?

What can i do to make my system normal again? im very confuse

thank you

System idle normally shows around 98% because it shows what is not being done. You need to look for other things taking 5-30% of the CPU time. There may be some indexing going on or something else, but it may take some time.

Where did you get Winrar? The last time I tried to download that it had a virus with it.

I got winwar from google, the 3rd link

and I notice something else, everytime i move my mouse, the cpu Goes crazy , its even worst when i highlight.
i went into msconfig and desactivated the startup to test and still no go.All my drivers updates are fine ...i dont know what to do anymore.. i am very dissapointed :(

I believe the OP from the other thread said his system corrected itself.

But if your is still acting up, check Task Manager to see what is using the CPU time. It helps sometimes to click when you see something using processing power, then you can follow it. Clicking on the top of the columns changes the way the processes are displayed, so you can click on cpu and the process with the highest (or lowest) usage shows up first.

I will do some research an get back to you.

thanks for your help :)

btw , is a clean sweep , not a upgrade

I been tryin to track it. I was clicking,moving and highlighting with the mouse until the processor goes up to 66 from windows explorer

Is my machine just too slow for windows 7?

Should be ok... try disabling the av and other programs that run at startup, reboot and test.

Check the link in my tagline for Identifying problems.

Originally Posted by Saltgrass
Should be ok... try disabling the av and other programs that run at startup, reboot and test.

been there, Done that :(

It seems strange that moving a mouse would cause that much processing power to be used. I might think you had some conflict in the resources used for the mouse and something else. What type of mouse do you have and are you using any special drivers?

Are there any other processes that increase usage along with the Explorer?

Are you showing any warnings or errors in the Event Viewer?

What anti-virus software are you running? Any spyware detection stuff?

Process Explorer, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft site below gives a more detailed picture of what is going on in your system. I do not see anything that would track mouse movement, but maybe something else would show up. You can hold the mouse over certain processes and it will show what is running inside of them. It does show cpu usage of the threads running.

Process Explorer

And for tblount, my virus loaded download came from Download.com

What virus was it? Do you know where I could get your copy? I suspect a false hit. I would like to see for myself. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom