Windows 7 Windows 7 Build 7000 (Beta1) almost completely locked out

altf2junkie

When I load up Windows 7, the first strange thing was the Windows Classic theme... unless it was set there by default, which I don't think it is.

When I try and access anything at all (Control Panel, Network Manager, etc.) It refuses me, saying "You do not have permission to access the specified file or path, etc. etc."..

There have been a lot of posts on how to change permissions for one particular file... but none to gain access to your whole system. Task Manager won't let me in either, so I don't know what's going on on that front.

All in all, very disappointed so far.
altf2junkie

Did this occur immediately after installation or did you make any major changes to the system.

Truthfully, I'd suggest you download the official RC directly from Microsoft and perform a "clean" install.

Many problems have been fixed with this RC build.

I installed the official release from the Microsoft website... I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

And no, this is from a clean install. Remember, I couldn't modify anything.

This is very strange.

The default state at startup is the the Windows 7 theme with the 'fish" wallpaper.

Is your Sony a laptop or desktop?

I need to know the make and model of your video card also.

After initially installing, did you receive any updates from Windows Update?

It's a desktop... not sure what the video driver is, but it's an Intel propietary(sp?) video driver, standard.

And no, it won't let me connect to the Internet, remember? =D

Sorry, senility is setting in:rolleyes:

Do you have another OS on this computer?

Is your hard drive partitioned?

can you access Windows explorer?

You said your using the Beta build 7000 still right?

Well I'd do as Reghakr initially suggested.. which is go to the Microsoft Windows 7 site and download the Windows 7 RC (Build 7100).. ;) It is a new/different build than the one your using.. :) After you've downloaded the RC (Build 7100) than do a clean install.. (As in format the partition with the Beta (Build 7000) on it then install the newly downloaded Windows 7 RC (Build 7100).. ;)

It's a desktop... not sure what the video driver is, but it's an Intel propietary(sp?) video driver, standard.

And no, it won't let me connect to the Internet, remember? =D

One way to sort things out a little clearer is to make a distinction whether the problem is Computer hardware/driver related or Windows 7 7100 RC related.

Assuming for the moment that this Laptop Sony VAIO VGN-FZ240E which has VISTA Home Premium software and therefore Win 7 compatible, the next logical question should be the quality of the Win7 Software in the DVD.

That should lead to one of two possibilities:
1. A bad download and good burn but bad DVD
2. A good download and a bad Burn and hence a bad DVD

How can you be sure you had a good download : NOT from just the fact it was from Microsoft server.
Verify MD5 comparing it to MD5 at the Site.

These are the MD5 at Microsoft for X32 and x64

• MD5Windows 7 RC Build 7100 X32 ISO: 8867C13330F56A93944BCD46DCD73590
  • MD5 for the Windows 7 RC Build 7100 X64 ISO :98341af35655137966e382c4feaa282d.
Your downloaded ISO file must match with these to be sure you got the uncorrupt download.

1. Therefore, Check MD5 using a freeware like DigesIT2004
  2. Right click downloaded Win7 ISO file> DigestIT2004> Calculate MD5 hash and wait for the alphanumerical string to display
  3. Compare with the MD5 listed above
    • If the Numbers Don't match your download is Bad> Get a new download
    • If the numbers match Download is Good Burn is BAD
  • Use a Freeware Burning program a lot of us trust ImgBurn and Right clickon the Iso image file >Burn Using ImgBurn.
  • Accept default settings and wait for burn to complete.
  • Try install again using Custom Install Option
Good luck . Post back for any help or successful Install.

Last edited:
One way to sort things out a little clearer is to make a distinction whether the problem is Computer hardware/driver related or Windows 7 7100 RC related.

Assuming for the moment that this Laptop Sony VAIO VGN-FZ240E which has VISTA Home Premium software and therefore Win 7 compatible, the next logical question should be the quality of the Win7 Software in the DVD.

That should lead to one two possibilities:

How can you be sure you had a good download : NOT from just the fact it was from Microsoft server.

• MD5 for the Windows 7 RC Build 7100 X64 ISO :98341af35655137966e382c4feaa282d.
Your downloaded ISO file must match with these to be sure you got the uncorrupt download.

2. Right click downloaded Win7 ISO file> DigestIT2004> Calculate MD5 hash and wait for the alphanumerical string to display
  • Use a Freeware Burning program a lot of us trust ImgBurn and Right clickon the Iso image file >Burn Using ImgBurn.

He needs to get the Windows 7 RC first CMN.. ;) As he stated in the OP that he is currently using build 7000 (The beta).. ;)

He needs to get the Windows 7 RC first CMN.. ;) As he stated in the OP that he is currently using build 7000 (The beta).. ;)
LOL
Thank you Radenight. But even that should not cause problem unless the DVD is bad. So The troubleshoot for the issue experienced is the same; only Build is going to change.

The other day I went along with the drop -down SPEC of Beta 7000 by the side of Login Name and the person was using win 7 7100 RC!! Later that original SPEC was edited by the poster! Hey, you can't win :D

LOL
Thank you Radenight. But even that should not cause problem unless the DVD is bad. So The troubleshoot for the issue experienced is the same; only Build is going to change.

The other day I went along with the drop -down SPEC of Beta 7000 by the side of Login Name and the person was using win 7 7100 RC!! Later that original SPEC was edited by the poster! Hey, you can't win :D

No problem.. Yeah I know what you mean... Plus there's so many questions (many repeats) now that the RC has gone live it's hard to keep them all straight.. ;)

That should lead to one of two possibilities:

I'm extremely sorry, I meant to type "laptop". However, judging by your response, I don't think it made much of a difference...

And I should have also noted that I am running this on a virtual machine, and so directly used to .iso file to install it.

I'd suggest not using Windows 7 RC on a virtual machine.. ;) It's just not the way to run it.. If you want to try it outside of the virtual machine than I'd suggest creating a new seperate partition and doing a clean install onto that partition.. :) I guarantee Windows 7 RC will work much better installed on a HDD than in a virtual machine.. :)

I'm extremely sorry, I meant to type "laptop". However, judging by your response, I don't think it made much of a difference...

And I should have also noted that I am running this on a virtual machine, and so directly used to .iso file to install it.
No Problem . Many in this Forum and in other Forums don't even post the Computer SPECS so when I saw the EXACT brand name as you had posted, I was happy as I didn't have to do mind reading :) and I am very poor at reading what someone else is thinking or reading into if they economize on written text:D.

Good luck testing Win 7 RC.

The other day I went along with the drop -down SPEC of Beta 7000 by the side of Login Name and the person was using win 7 7100 RC!! Later that original SPEC was edited by the poster! Hey, you can't win

Hey cmn,

that's OK, the other day I asked the posted to provide the exact make and model of his video card.

Then after I posted a second time, I realized it was right there at the bottom of the post:redface:

I'm compiling a list for a thread titled You know it time to take a break from posting when.....

This will be one inclusion.

@altf2junkie ; reghakr is right, I suggest you head over to Microsoft Springboard site and download the official Windows 7 RC there (Windows 7 Release Candidate) and perform a clean install.
If you have any questions, please feel free to follow us on twitter @MSSpringboard.
Alex
Microsoft.com/Springboard

Same Problem

Hi guys,

I have the same problem.

build 7100
core i7 920
Gigabyte UD4P 1366
Diamond HD4870
OCZ 1600mhz ram
WD black 640hdd
lite-on optical dvd drive

So i was able to get one single good boot on my brand new system (with the fish background and full program display in my start bar)
It mysteriously shut itself down after 3 mins of use.
Now every boot has the same issue as the user Alt... Boots in classic, and everything I try to access tell me "explorer.EXE > Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I've seen a few threads like these and I was wondering if anyone has resolved the issue.

If someone could shed some light... that'd be nice

Cheers,
Jeff

Back