Windows 7 Windows 7 - Can not find partition

pork

I have windows 7 rc x64 installed , which occurs
Partition Magic installed some errors occurred when
i know it was another error and reset machine,
the operating system does not boot more, when getting in
way of security to try to load the file
classpnp.sys reset it, is that Windows does not
"see" more that the partition where it is installed.
How do I see windows again
partition is ?!?!?

obs.: The error occurs in Classpnp.sys he changed the boot
for a partition where you have some files in
recovery ... recovery of the OS did not work and
bcdedit, the fix also does not have can'tI
access the partition ...

Format/Reload OS

Partitioning Software is bad for a majority of reasons, but has it's limited uses for extreme situations.

Only other option to recover data,,,, take the drive and hook to another system and see if you can access it. If not, the data is probably dead. or try a program called TestDisk to try and recover data from the corrupted partition.

But if you don't know what you are doing,,, you could make things worse. Take it to a professional.
and Geek Squad are not professionals.

I can access the partition, and
see / read / edit / copy the data using other Systems
Operational. There is no way that I can
do return to see the Windows partition? My problem
does not see more windows partition, I can not
no more install it there.

Try marking the partition as active using diskpart.
Does it show in disk management?

Why people use Partition magic is beyond me, I've used it once, got the 'bootmgr is missing' bullsh1t, and had to reinstall the OS!
W7 has an adequate partitioning tool. I certainly wouldn't recommend using a potentially damaging software like partitioning tools with a RC OS anyways.

Try marking the partition as active using diskpart.
Does it show in disk management?

Why people use Partition magic is beyond me, I've used it once, got the 'bootmgr is missing' bullsh1t, and had to reinstall the OS!
W7 has an adequate partitioning tool. I certainly wouldn't recommend using a potentially damaging software like partitioning tools with a RC OS anyways.

I have not tested the partition manager in 7 yet.
In vista you can only resize down to half the free space.
Other partition managers will do all if wanted.
Has this been changed in 7?

Hi, Partition Magic is not compatible with the new NT6 partitioning rules. I understand there are no plans to update it. There are other partitioning apps. that work successfully and can be useful when Windows Disk Management functions are too limited. To recover from the situation, you could try this : Shrink the partition a little using a bootable partition manager e.g. Gparted - leaving a small amount of unallocated space. Boot the 7 dvd, start to install , select Drive Options ( advanced ). Extend the partition to it's full size again , then abort the install. You may need to run startup repair from the 7 dvd.

I have not tested the partition manager in 7 yet.
In vista you can only resize down to half the free space.
Other partition managers will do all if wanted.
Has this been changed in 7?

What you said about Vista is wrong. It's a common misconception that you're only able to shrink it by half. Vista & 7 only limit you because of the position of the MFT files on the disk. See here for a workaround, it works in 7 too;
Windows Forums • View topic - Partitioning

BTW Tepid, good shout wih Testdisk, it's a very good tool that pulled me out the sh1t when my external hdd decided to die ;)

Um, i do not believe this is correct, you can still only shrink half the free space in windows shrink, that's it.....
there are better tools. The method in that post may get you a few more gig's or meg's, but you will still only be able to shrink half the free space. That post does not claim to be able to shrink more than Half the free space, only that you might get more space to shrink cause you are creating more free space by cleaning up the system.

I agree a defrag run a couple of times first is advised, but, you don't want to shrink more than your existing OS needs (meaning, deleting the pagefile, hiberfile, junk temp files and all are good maintenance practice, but, if you dump all those files then take the space that some of those files need, you may end up with a broken initial OS), you will be robbing it of needed space,,, so the scenario in that post may work, but it may not be the best idea.

I use something like Gparted or Partition Magic 8 booted from CD (or USB), not run from within windows environment to resize partitions as needed.

LOL, you clearly don't understand what has been written. Read the post again!!

It is possible to shrink more than half, you will not be robbing space that the OS needs, if the OS needed it, it wouldn't let you take it!
MFT is the only holding you back, NOT free space. With the method i posted (albeit a long-winded one :)) it tells you how to move the MFT.
When i used that method i freed up more than 80GB, hardly the MB's you're claiming it will do.

Also, common sense is a wonderful thing, it's a shame most of us don't possess it. All the files you claim may break the OS hardly take up any room at all (well, not with 2TB HDD on the market now). You are right in claiming that if you DID take up space that the OS needed you would break it. This, however, is highly unlikely.

Good luck with your Gparted, Partition Magic 8 and bootmgr is missing LOL

P.S Look on the howtogeek website for a similar post on moving the MFT for partitioning. I may not be credible but they are. They know what they're talking about.

The problem with Gparted and Partition Magic, etc. is people use them incorrectly.
I have yet to blow up a drive, but I know plenty of people who have.

Honestly, all the steps you describe should not be needed, defragging the drive alone will do most of the work of moving the files if done properly.
MFT defrag in Vista

I also stated GIG's or MEG's.

All of my tests in Vista, resulted in only getting about half the available free space to shrink.
In other words, I have 403G of free space, other apps will let me shrink this down to 403G (which is not a good idea to use all of your free space for an additional partition, you need some for the initial OS if you are still using it), Windows shrink will not.
It only allows 226389M to be shrinkable. If i clean up the system and disable page file, hiberfile etc, I would get more free space to shrink, but vista would still only allow about half of the free space to be shrunk.

after a quick test in 7, It appears that I don't have this problem anymore, in 7 completely. I still don't get the full 403G of free space to be shrinkable. But, after a JKDefrag with optimization only, I do have 394962 that is shrinkable. That still leaves 81981M free.

Ideally, this is perfect. as you don't want to kill off all your free space in the initial OS. but was not my initial point of only getting half the free space to shrink in vista, and there are a lot of people who still have that problem in vista, which I will call a minor bug, as there are other tools to use, and it doesn't prevent the system from working.

So I will concede that I may have had some problems that I didn't fully work out in vista shrink, but 7 (after a proper defrag) doesn't suffer from, for me. And I didn't do anything different between the 2 on the same machine. but this isn't something I do all the time or even need to do. Was just testing and observation of the tool itself.

As you enjoy testing so much, why not at least try and test the method i've posted. IT CAN BE DONE, i managed to shrink 2/3 before now, as have many others.
Why you use GParted and Partition Magic is beyond me, especially as, and i quote, "this isn't something I do all the time or even need to do"
Get back to me when you've at least tried tried my method ;)

Back
Top Bottom