Windows 7 Windows 7 causes my computer to disconnect from the Network

Gummii

So recently about 2 months ago I bought Windows 7 Professional 64bit and installed it on a brand new hard drive. was a clean install. Ever since then when I try and download a file or open 3 or more firefox pages/tabs or 3 or more internet Explorer pages/tabs or play a online game and open 1 internet page my computer will disconnect from the network. All other computers stay online it is only mine. This most notably will happen when playing World of Warcraft in a raid setting during boss fights only without anything else running.

I have a Dell Laptop that has Windows 7 and never had this problem, I have a second built computer with windows 7 and it does not disconnect. The only way I have found to bring back the connection is to restart the computer. It is not the router as the other computers do not disconnect when mine does. I have tried un-checking all of the IPv6 options and it still does the disconnect. I also reinstalled the drivers several times so they are up to date.

Not sure at this point what is left to try.

Hi,
Thank you for the link to those programs that helped me get all my missing information filled out.

My Router is : Linksys Simultaneous Dual-N band Wireless Router. Model: WRT610N

Also about 2 weeks ago my secondary hard Drive had something weird happen to it. Every program stopped working that was installed on it and nothing could be deleted or copied off. Tried to scan it/Disk check/reformat but nothing worked so i just pulled it out and got a new one since nothing important was on it. I do not know if that could be related to this issue. Let me know if there is any other information I can get.

You have a great router. I have recommended that router to business customers. Its gotta be the computer. When the disconnection takes place, does the whole computer freeze? This would indicate an I/O write error to the HD. If it is just the network going, the card could be bad. You also have a Gigabit network card:

Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Look on NVIDIA's website for a driver update. You've probably already done this.

Check the connection to the Internet. You may have packet loss on the line or a bad connection

Windows Key + R to initiate "Run" dialog box
ping -t google.com

Let this go for about 10 minutes. Hit Ctrl-c. If the result is even 5-10% you have serious connection problems. It should be really less than 5% or 0. In that case it could be the modem or the line definately needs to be checked by the ISP. But you say its only happening on your system? Bad cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have another desktop try switching out the network card. It may be troublesome, you can get a gigabit Intel desktop NIC for like 20 dollars.

I tried the ping test. When i use the run option it closes the window when I hit ctrl + C and I cant see the results and when i tried to run the ping test with just pinging google.com it also closed automatically.

I went to Link Removed due to 404 Error and tested it there I'm in Houston and I just picked a place in Indiana to ping and I got these results:

Packets Sent 250
Packets received 250
packet loss 0%
Ping: 57ms
Jitter: 4ms

(my ISP is Comcast)

I have not tried the network adapter and it is the oldest part now in my computer. I will see if I can get my roommate to let me use his comp to test the switching it. If not ill prob just garb a new one. is there a recommendation on what I should look for in an network adapter?

Back