Windows 8 Windows 7 clean install error: "Setup was unable to use existing system partition because it does no

TsAmE

Hi all. I am having a problem with installing Windows 7 on my netbook (Novero Solana). I did a clean install (wiped out Windows 8) and when using a USB boot install of Windows 7, I encountered the following error (Disk 0 Unallocated Space):

"Windows 7 install Error "Setup was unable to use existing system partition because it does not contain the required free space".

The other partition on my netbook is System Reserved (Disk 0 Partition 1: System Reserved), but I don't want to touch it, as I have heard it contains important files e.g. bootup.

Attached is the screenshot of the "Install Windows" screen displaying the partitions. Help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Win7 partitions.jpg
    Win7 partitions.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 4,096
When you say you did a clean install and wiped out windows 8, what exactly do you mean? Did you use a third part app or a Microsoft disk?

The system partition is normally where the boot takes place. Removing it will allow for Windows 7 to set up its own system partition.

I would just remove the partition and allow Windows 7 to do the install. But I am surprised so much space is used. My system shows 70% free. Yours must have some folder/file possibly used by Windows 8. You might try using Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt and look at that partition to see what is listed as contents. If there is something there you may want to copy it to another location or copy it all, just is case.

I cannot speak to any licensing or activation situations concerning the install... I also have no experience with Netbook installs and where they put things. Do you have a way to recover Windows 8 if needed?

I sorted out the problem. I re sized the system reserved partition and it worked :) Thanks guys

Back