Windows 7 Windows 7 does not sleep

stonooka

My Windows 7 desktop will not enter automatic or manual sleep. In both cases the computer does an "unsuccessful shutdown". I have to cycle power to reboot the computer. Restart and Shutdown work normally.

I have enabled automatic sleep with both Power Options, powercfg, and BIOS.

powercfg -energy reports no unusual errors rather than the usual USB devices not entering suspend state.

I believe I have performed most of the steps outlined in the tutorial by Brink in the Vista forum "How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows7 Sleep Mode Problem".

You have pretty well eliminated possible suggestions.....

You did not give the results of the tutorial you followed, except I suppose you did not find any problems. Since you appear to be posting in multiple forums, I will ask just a few questions?

If you check Device Manager, in the Systems devices, do you show an ACPI entry or any devices with yellow marks anywhere?

Are there any error or warning messages in the Event Viewer that might be related?

Have you checked your bios for any power settings?

Do you have any Media Streaming or other media sources enabled?

Thanks for responding,

In the previous postings I thought the computer was failing to wake. It turns out the 1st problem is that the computer does an "unexpected shutdown" in response to an automatic or manual sleep command. It is not sleeping!

The Device Manager entries are all clean.

I have checked Bios settings for proper entries for Power Management.

I have no streaming media and but have occasionally used media sources, mainly short internet video.

power cfg -energy reported in the past hardware error conflicts were causing Power Mgmt not to invoke Sleep. After repeatedly
downloading updated drivers, I no longer get that error in recent powercfg reports.

I have not studied Event Viewer but will now attempt to do so.

In the previous postings I thought the computer was failing to wake. It turns out the 1st problem is that the computer does an "unexpected shutdown" in response to an automatic or manual sleep command. It is not sleeping!
In the powercfg report you got, what does it show for available sleep states? On the Advanced power settings, under sleep, there is an option to allow hybrid sleep. I think that is the normal situation these days, but you might try not allowing that to test.

If this is a laptop, does it make a difference if the system is plugged in or not? I have seen batteries cause some problems.

My Windows 7 desktop will not enter automatic or manual sleep. In both cases the computer does an "unsuccessful shutdown". I have to cycle power to reboot the computer. Restart and Shutdown work normally.

I have enabled automatic sleep with both Power Options, powercfg, and BIOS.

powercfg -energy reports no unusual errors rather than the usual USB devices not entering suspend state.

I believe I have performed most of the steps outlined in the tutorial by Brink in the Vista forum "How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows7 Sleep Mode Problem".

After several years of living without screensavers, monitor shut-down and sleep mode on both XP and Windows 7, I finally figured out it was the Microsoft wireless mouse I've been using on that PC. The model number is not listed but it's a two piece model, blue, P/N X08-72982, "Wireless Optical Mouse Blue". Thanks to this and other forums on the web for helping me. I hope this will be of help to others.

Back