Windows 7 Windows 7 fails to recognize DVD+R, CDs in drive

minotaur15

I am having a problem with Windows allowing me to open/use/burn DVDs and CDs. I have a Samsung combo DVD/CD burner which operated just fine to install Windows and other programs, but when I attempted to burn my first DVD, windows failed to recognize that a disc was even in the drive and asked for one to be inserted. It also failed to read an audio CD. Interestingly, with the two different types of disc in the drive and viewing the drive in 'My Computer', the icon will change from DVD to CD and so forth, however, that's as far as I get. I have attempted a firmware update for the drive, however, the last update on that is from '06 and is for XP.

Anyone have a direction to head in on this? I have seached the web and have not found a working solution for windows 7 - everything seems to be for XP or Vista. Many thanks for your assistance.

Dan

Can you boot to a CD/DVD in DOS? You failed to mention if this is an IDE or SATA Drive. You might have issues in your BIOS with a SATA Drive or maybe wrong jumper setting with an IDE Drive.

I am having a problem with Windows allowing me to open/use/burn DVDs and CDs. I have a Samsung combo DVD/CD burner which operated just fine to install Windows and other programs, but when I attempted to burn my first DVD, windows failed to recognize that a disc was even in the drive and asked for one to be inserted. It also failed to read an audio CD. Interestingly, with the two different types of disc in the drive and viewing the drive in 'My Computer', the icon will change from DVD to CD and so forth, however, that's as far as I get. I have attempted a firmware update for the drive, however, the last update on that is from '06 and is for XP.

Anyone have a direction to head in on this? I have seached the web and have not found a working solution for windows 7 - everything seems to be for XP or Vista. Many thanks for your assistance.

Dan

It is an IDE drive and I did not have any problem booting to the windows disc when I first installed it. The base system is an old dell dimension 4400, FYI. Also, I did a registry clean-up and whether it was wholly responsible or not, I did get an audio CD to read now. However, it is still not recognizing a DVD+R. Could it be as simple as incompatible media? I do not have much experience to speak of for disc burning.

You could try to have a look at the possible suggestions at this site: Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working Problem Missing Disappeared Error Gone Not Found Not Recognized in x64 and x86

It seems like a rather common problem with windows 7.
cheers,
--mike

Dan

Back