Windows 7 windows 7 hangs after resume from hibernate

dlstyley

I have an Extensa 4420 with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. Every time it resumes from hibernate, it locks up after about 1 minute. I've tried installing different versions of the video driver, touchpad driver, and wireless card, but none of those have fixed it.

How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks for the link. While it has some good information, I don't think it applies to my problem.

"Hybrid Sleep" is already turned off

Also, I've tried disabling audio, wireless, lan, DVD, USB ports, all I/O ports, etc. Also tried swapping drivers for video, synaptics touchpad, and wireless. I have the latest BIOS.

One thing to note, after it resumes from hibernation, the hard drive appears to have pretty steady activity until the machine locks up (approximately 60 secs).

What else to try?

I did a little more googling and this link is quite interesting:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you read through it you'll eventually come to a post where the user has the same model as you and a possible fix..

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure how I missed that. I thought I had done a decent job of searching, but obviously not.

That definatley helped! The Acer web site lists two video drivers. I thought I had tried both, but obviously not. When I tried to reinstall one of them, this time I noticed a message that the video driver portion of the install had failed. I uninstalled everything related to the video driver and started over. The install succeeded and it appears that driver (ver 8.593.100.0) has solved my problem.

Thank you!

To anyone else still tearing out their hair trying to solve this (as was I), here is the solution I found for myself (different). The problem is sometimes a rootkit malware attack.

To check and remove rootkits, download and run Kaspersky's TDSSKiller:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

I ran this. It found one infection, quaranteened the file, rebooted my computer, and hibernation now works.

After countless attempts to fix hibernation, this was the only solution that worked for me.

Back