Windows 7 Windows 7 install seeing ghost Kaspersky

watwinc

I'm upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, x86. The system is fully compatible, but Windows 7 installer tells me I have to uninstall Kaspersky first.
We've never installed Kaspersky on this machine.
It doesn't show in the Control Panel program list.
There's no sign of Kaspersky in any directories.
Two freeware uninstallers recommended on the Kaspersky forum can't see it anywhere.
A regseeker search for "Kaspersky" and "KAV" turns up three occurrences of "kav" with varying upper and lower case, all as part of longer strings in registry entries for "Rhapsody" (a music program).
What is the installer seeing?
How can I convince it that Kaspersky isn't on the machine?

Hello and welcome to the Windows 7 forums,

The regular posters here all agree that a "clean" install of Windows is the only way to go.

This may be the very reason you're receiving this message.

Puzzling - the three previous upgrades worked like a charm, and an upgrade would be particularly useful on this machine. Would it work if I did a clean install on a new HD, then ran the file transfer utility?

Alternatively, if W7 is relying on a registry check to identify programs, are the three occurrences of the "kav" sequence the problem? I could uninstall that program, reinstall later.

You said you had Vista installed.

Did you previously upgrade to Windows 7 and then go back.

I would not remove any entries found by Regseeker unless they matched the exact name.

I tried to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. The install failed because the compatibility check (wrongly) said Kaspersky had to be uninstalled.
I wasn't thinking of deleting registry entries - if the "Rhapsody" entries are the problem (because of the appearance of "kav" in a string), I'd uninstall the program from either Control Panel or its own uninstaller, depending on the documentation.
My question for the workaround is, if I do a clean install of W7 on another HD, can I transfer files and programs from the Vista HD?

I have never had any faith in the Transfer wizard program.

I would suggest re-installing all 3rd party apps.

Did you attempt to uninstall whatever anti virus you are using? It may be detecting an aspect of what your using because it's similar?
I would also try to install and uninstall Kapersky (free trial is available i think).
What A-V anti spyware are you using?

Good point - I should have covered that. I uninstalled the Pareto Logic AV, did my best to get rid of the Symantec that came with the PC. Symantec is notoriously tough to get rid of completely, so I'll go back and double check that.
I plan to use ESET nov32 version 4, as they have a five-licence business version which covers our needs at reasonable cost.
I thought about installing and uninstalling a Kaspersky version, but it doesn't solve the puzzle of why W7 thinks it's seeing it, when it was never installed in the first place ...

Okay, the upgrade is complete, a total success, everything important has transferred smoothly (I haven't checked everything!), and the ESET AV software is installing.
Thanks to everyone for the advice, and particularly for the pointer to the Norton Remove utility!

Ghost image of Kaspersky on win7 install

Hi I have the same problem installing windows 7 home premium onto vista home premium, it wont go any further untill i uninstall Kaspersky antivirus, which I have never had on this computer and cannot find any trace of it anywhere, the comp is a dell inspiron 530S, I wonder if anyone has a solution to this yet, as I dont really wont to do a full install, could it be seeing a trial version of it on the iso image stored on a seperate part of the hard drive, any help would be appreciated

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,.

A '"clean" install is rte way to go.

You could be here for days trying to figure it out or spend one day and have it completely rebuilt.

Your choice

Hi I have the same problem installing windows 7 home premium onto vista home premium, it wont go any further untill i uninstall Kaspersky antivirus, which I have never had on this computer and cannot find any trace of it anywhere, the comp is a dell inspiron 530S, I wonder if anyone has a solution to this yet, as I dont really wont to do a full install, could it be seeing a trial version of it on the iso image stored on a seperate part of the hard drive, any help would be appreciated

Have sorted out the ghost Kaspersky, it is Virgin media PC Gaurd it tells you to disable it, but you have to uninstall it then the upgrade was fine

bikergold,

I dont really wont to do a full install, could it be seeing a trial version of it on the iso image stored on a seperate part of the hard drive

That's even more of a reason to perform a "clean" install.

Back