Windows 7 Windows 7 installed last night now it only detects 2Gz of Ram

bookworm

Last night I installed windows 7 x86.

i clicked on my computer it said 2gz ram then i installed some drivers and clicked on my computer and it had 4gz ram.

it had Aero and when i installed battlefield 2142 and played it, it felt like 4gz.

today i installed black and white and installed the recommended updates from windows and black and white 2 i click on my computer and it says i have 2gz... and areo effects etc is gone...

what's going on? I need to have 4gz.

I have some questions is x86 = 32 bit?

I read on the web that 32 bit can't see 4gz of ram is that a rumour or true? if so how come i had 4gz before.

did the updates stop windows 7 from ustilising the other 2 gz of ram?

does reinstalling/installing mobo driver or gfx card driver affect anything?

Your Questions

X86 is 32-bit.... Install X64 if you want to see all 4 gig of ram. Unfortunately, you can't update X86 to X64.:frown:

X86 is 32-bit.... Install X64 if you want to see all 4 gig of ram. Unfortunately, you can't update X86 to X64.:frown:
yeah i was about to ask that too...

so can't update :(

but how in the world did i get 4gz before... and i had areo. i dont care about areo but if u have the ram you get areo and if you don't you lose it. how do you explain that? :'(

i will have to uninstall and install xp sp3?

Questions

Aero is present with any value of ram if you have the right video card support. You need 64-bit to see 4 gig of ram period. You could use XP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit if you have either of those.

yeah i was about to ask that too...

so can't update :(

but how in the world did i get 4gz before... and i had areo. i dont care about areo but if u have the ram you get areo and if you don't you lose it. how do you explain that? :'(

i will have to uninstall and install xp sp3?

It would actually be called 4GG. But you'll need to install a 64-bit operating system.

FWIW I had build 7077 (x64) and it wouldn't recognise all my ram. I downloaded the RC build 7100 (x64) and it all returned so I had a problem with the 7077 build and it seems others have run into this issue too.
Make sure you have memory remapping enabled in bios otherwise you won't see all your ram even with x64.
Also some intel chipsets seem to be limited in the amount of ram they can see, I haven't come across this problem with AMD/ATI or Nvidia chipsets.

Back