Windows 7 Windows 7 is not detecting my other partitions on same hard drive

Skaar

Hi,

I installed Windows 7 64-bit on my computer which has only 1 hard drive (640GB). I partitioned it using XP to have 4 partitions: 1) XP Partition 2) Linux Partition 3) Linux Swap 4) Windows 7.

The problem is Windows 7 cannot detect any partition besides it's own partition, so I cannot access any of my data from the other partitions (XP and ubuntu --- I don't care about ubuntu but I need the data on the XP partition).

I know the other partitions exist since I can access XP still, and I believe XP can detect all 4 partitions.

Anyone run in to this problem or have advice on how to fix it? Earlier today I installed the 32-bit version and that one worked fine, it detected all the other partitions on my hard drive.

Thanks!

-Skaar

Ahh problem solved....so I went to start->menu then searched for partition and selected "Create and format hard disk partitions" and it actually detected all the partitions. The problem was the other partitions did not have drive letters associated with them.

So I just right clicked and changed the drive letters.

Last edited:
Indeed skaar all you had to do was go into disc management and right click on the partitions and assign a drive letter to them. It is a security measure built into windows 7.

That is actually what Skaar did. He just took another route. <but typing the request in the Start search bar will not work if you have ( as many are doing) the search index turned off.

Hi,

I installed Windows 7 64-bit on my computer which has only 1 hard drive (640GB). I partitioned it using XP to have 4 partitions: 1) XP Partition 2) Linux Partition 3) Linux Swap 4) Windows 7.

The problem is Windows 7 cannot detect any partition besides it's own partition, so I cannot access any of my data from the other partitions (XP and ubuntu --- I don't care about ubuntu but I need the data on the XP partition).

I know the other partitions exist since I can access XP still, and I believe XP can detect all 4 partitions.

Anyone run in to this problem or have advice on how to fix it? Earlier today I installed the 32-bit version and that one worked fine, it detected all the other partitions on my hard drive.

Thanks!

-Skaar

Ahh problem solved....so I went to start->menu then searched for partition and selected "Create and format hard disk partitions" and it actually detected all the partitions. The problem was the other partitions did not have drive letters associated with them.

So I just right clicked and changed the drive letters.

Thank you Skaar so much! :))) I newer thought that the solution will be so easy :rolleyes:

Back