Windows 7 Windows 7 is SLOW!

rlieu

Hey everyone,
I just recently purchased windows 7 ultimate 64bit, and i have ran into this problem for quite some time. When downloading things or streaming videos, my computer becomes very slow and choppy even though my cpu usage is low. I usually notice this problem when my pc has been on for over 12 hours, but i've never noticed this problem when i had xp. Theirs no way it can be a virus because I have reformatted 3 times, and nothing has changed. My systems specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHZ
nForce 750i SLI motherboard
6gb ddr2 ram
ATi Radeon HD 4800 Series

I'm not sure what else would be helpful besides these specs. Everything seems to be updated. What can be the problem? Please help someone!

Did you clean install or did you upgrade Vista with windows 7 ultimate 64bit you purchased?

Upgraded 7 is known to work slightly slower than 7 clean installed.

Your system speed shouldn't be affected much by slow downloads as such. However, download managers or software for streaming videos can possibly slow you down.

Fragmented system disk can slow you down too.

Last edited:
I did a clean install.
I do you download managers like Jdownloader or Internet Download Manager, but i never had these problems in XP.
Last night i contacted microsoft and chatted with one for their support techs. She thinks the problem is in google chrome which is the browser i use for windows 7. She believes that the 32bit applications could be the problem. Does anyone else get this problem?

Last edited:
Did you clean install or did you upgrade Vista with windows 7 ultimate 64bit you purchased?

Upgraded 7 is known to work slightly slower than 7 clean installed.

Your system speed shouldn't be affected much by slow downloads as such. However, download managers or software for streaming videos can possibly slow you down.

Fragmented system disk can slow you down too.

I'm noticing quite the slowdown too, not simply a slight slowdown from an upgrade as opposed to a clean install. Vista was quick for me. Loved it.
I really want to see the speed from Seven.
specs:
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
4 gbs ram
Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 ghz

I did a clean install.
I do you download managers like Jdownloader or Internet Download Manager, but i never had these problems in XP.
Last night i contacted microsoft and chatted with one for their support techs. She thinks the problem is in google chrome which is the browser i use for windows 7. She believes that the 32bit applications could be the problem. Does anyone else get this problem?

Do you have problems with any media players? Sound issues if running multiple apps?

She thinks the problem is in google chrome which is the browser i use for windows 7. She believes that the 32bit applications could be the problem. Does anyone else get this problem?

I also use Chrome as well as many 32 bit applications including Orbit Downloader and Free Download Manager, and I can't say at all that my computer gets slow when I'm downloading something or watching a video with Chrome.

There could be lots of causes, maybe your antivirus system is what's bottlenecking you?

Hello rlieu,
Have you checked for Viruses ? Spyware? There may be something lurking there. Also make sure you shutdown processes unnecessarry running in the background.
Thanks again,
John
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Back