Windows 10 Windows 7 is still the best OS

bandyrob

I am a self-imposed system builder. I’ve chosen to build by own PC’s over the years because I have control over much of the build. Recently, my Gigabyte LGA 1150 Z97-D3H motherboard (with Win 10) cratered due to my careless dropping of the HSF on the CPU receptor area when trying to apply fresh Arctic Silver. Consequently the processor pins wouldn’t align properly with the socket. However, the connections on the processor were undamaged.

So I had a spare Gigabyte Z97-D3H LGA 1150 motherboard still in the sealed static bag and decided I would just pop it in as a replacement for the old board. But no! Win 10 recognized a “different” board (even though the replacement board was the same model as the original) and refused to activate Win 10 for the new board. This is a system that I had upgraded with the free Win 10 upgrade back in June/July of 2016. Microsoft did not provide a product activation code at the time of the free upgrade. In retrospect, I believe it would have been prudent for Microsoft to have provided a product code at the time of the upgrade to the end user.

Ok, back to my story. I spent several hours trying to activate Win 10, but to no avail. This forced me to call a Microsoft system engineer in order to reactivate the OS. What a pain! The MS engineer took control remotely and worked his magic to reactivate Win 10. I am always uneasy when a stranger is in control of my system. On a positive note, the engineer provided me with the Windows 10 activation code, but I won’t know if it’s genuinely legit until if and when the process needs to be repeated. In retrospect, and if I had to do it all over again, I would have, should have, stayed with Windows 7. Windows 7 was a stable, predictable, operating system that you could rely on. Windows 10 still needs a lot of work.

For windows 10 do you have a license key or digital license? Depending on the route you went it can be a little more painful to re-activate. If you don't know which just comment with how you get the license.

For windows 10 do you have a license key or digital license? Depending on the route you went it can be a little more painful to re-activate. If you don't know which just comment with how you get the license.
To my knowledge, license keys weren't provided for the "automatic" upgrade offered back during January through July of 2016. . I now have a product key, but only because it was supplied by a Microsoft Software engineer after much travail on my part.

The upgrades would have been your previous windows key so it would remain a license key. If you purchases through the Windows store (app) or had Windows pre-install they would be digital licenses. Also if you sign in with a MS account the key get's converted or at least registered to your hardware. When it's associated to your device it's based on a hardware profile, so if your hardware changes you will typically have to call MS unless the activation troubleshooter can re-activate. If you buy a license key you typically can install Windows then enter your key and have no issues.

The new activation code consists of 8 groups of 6 numbers. The software engineer had a strong Indian accent, which impeded the discussion somewhat, but he was polite and courteous.

You can activate with that and the auto teller system by typing slui 4 from a command prompt.

The upgrades would have been your previous windows key so it would remain a license key. If you purchases through the Windows store (app) or had Windows pre-install they would be digital licenses. Also if you sign in with a MS account the key get's converted or at least registered to your hardware. When it's associated to your device it's based on a hardware profile, so if your hardware changes you will typically have to call MS unless the activation troubleshooter can re-activate. If you buy a license key you typically can install Windows then enter your key and have no issues.
Again, no product key was provided with the "automatic" upgrade from Win 7 to Windows 10. The only product key I have would have been for Win 7 from which I upgraded. This I have.

I also have Windows 8 Pro, which I may try installing instead, mainly because the Windows 8.0 end-of-life deadline extends further into the future. The overly invasive nature of Windows 10 is reason enough to abandon Windows 10. Privacy is virtually non-existent with Win 10, even with the superficial privacy features offered.

Last edited:
You should be able to activate the system with the Windows 7 key if you did the free upgrade.

Well, Windows 8.1 is actually between Windows 7 and Windows 10. I do not really like Windows 10 because of the option that forced us to use their shi*t browser and anti virus.

I am currently trying to roll back Windows 10 (terrible, terrible operating system) back to Windows 8.0/8.1. Win 10 doesn't want to let go. It is being a real pain to roll back to 8.0/8, even though I have the product codes for Windows 8 Pro.

I've never tried the W8 rollback feature from W10, but I did try it on a few W10 systems that were upgraded from W7. Only 1 or 2 worked out of the several I tried. I discovered that you are better off relying on tested 3rd party disk imaging backup programs such as Macrium, Acronis, and EASEus than on Microsoft's built-in rollback programs (which often are only good for 30 days), whereas the above mentioned disk imaging programs have no time limit. Just an observation, but the Microsoft rollback programs don't work much better than their update/upgrade programs do. They have been problematic since 2015 and continue to have issues. In general, though I like W10 much more than you do, (if you're willing to do a Clean Install to get to the next W10 version major release) and have it on 10 PCs here, and only keep a few older ones with W7 hanging around to do occasional customer support.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I've never tried the W8 rollback feature from W10, but I did try it on a few W10 systems that were upgraded from W7. Only 1 or 2 worked out of the several I tried. I discovered that you are better off relying on tested 3rd party disk imaging backup programs such as Macrium, Acronis, and EASEus than on Microsoft's built-in rollback programs (which often are only good for 30 days), whereas the above mentioned disk imaging programs have no time limit. Just an observation, but the Microsoft rollback programs don't work much better than their update/upgrade programs do. They have been problematic since 2015 and continue to have issues. In general, though I like W10 much more than you do, (if you're willing to do a Clean Install to get to the next W10 version major release) and have it on 10 PCs here, and only keep a few older ones with W7 hanging around to do occasional customer support.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
It is the privacy issue that is of concern to me. Windows 10 keeps track of your web preferences...worse than Big Brother. Check out the following article: Windows 10 Shamelessly Wants Your Data. Here’s How to Protect Yourself. Another informative article can be found at Windows 10 violates your privacy by default, here's how you can protect yourself - TechRepublic. The web is rife with such articles. I am less concerned about the Privacy issues with my main tower computer, but more concerned with my dated but still functioning Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet which I take on the road. In retrospect, the Windows 8.1 OS is more user friendly for aging tablets, IMHO. Thankfully, there are some measures you can take to help reduce the intrusiveness, such as using Chrome for your browser (but Google then becomes a potential threat for data mining). That said, Windows 8.1 apparently provides fewer avenues for intrusiveness, by default. If Microsoft has such avenues of access into your private information, think how much worse it can potentially be with lurking hackers and data thieves.

Last edited:
Windows 10 doesn't force you to use anything. Yes they do track things on their browser, but most browsers do. If you want less info collected you need to turn collection to basic.

Also if you own a smart phone then the horse has pretty much bolted.. Almost everything we do is monitored nowadays from watching the TV to using the phone..

I VPN all the things. Though google, Microsoft etc still have my search and app data. But this windows is spying is so overblown. Windows 7 was a fine OS but things move on and I'd rather have the added security from windows 10 than have to suffer in 7. Though being a gamer I always need the latest software and tech.

Back