Windows 7 Windows 7, is Vista fixed and spruced up a bit!!

DPounds

I really can't believe that MS is going to charge people for something that we've already paid for (Vista). All the extra little quirks that they claim is Windows 7, is just Vista with updates.

Really? That's what you have to contribute to the forum?

If you read a little bit you'll see that while it's the same underlying structure Windows 7 is far superior to Vista. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Really? That's what you have to contribute to the forum?

If you read a little bit you'll see that while it's the same underlying structure Windows 7 is far superior to Vista. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Your right, I agree with what you say about 50% (except for the fact that it's not really that "far superior to Vista"!! Please tell me how it is so "far superior")

And yes that is what I have to contribute. I'm pretty sure that I posted this thread in the general discussion area. I wanted to hear what other people think.

Your right, I agree with what you say about 50% (except for the fact that it's not really that "far superior to Vista"!! Please tell me how it is so "far superior")

And yes that is what I have to contribute. I'm pretty sure that I posted this thread in the general discussion area. I wanted to hear what other people think.
Have you used 7? It's much faster than Vista, the gui is better and more refined. I'm not going to argue that it's not generally the same OS because it is, but IMO they made alot of changes to Win 7 that make it more than a minor update. It's also a big relief for those of us that work in IT because of the XP mode, which makes moving a corporate environment over from XP much easier.

That said, I do really hope they do a completel rewrite with Win 8. The Win NT kernel is getting pretty old at this point and needs to be discarded for something better.

Have you used 7? It's much faster than Vista, the gui is better and more refined. I'm not going to argue that it's not generally the same OS because it is, but IMO they made alot of changes to Win 7 that make it more than a minor update. It's also a big relief for those of us that work in IT because of the XP mode, which makes moving a corporate environment over from XP much easier.

That said, I do really hope they do a completel rewrite with Win 8. The Win NT kernel is getting pretty old at this point and needs to be discarded for something better.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (that's why I am saying what I am).

As for the XP mode.... anyone can install a virtual PC on Vista and run XP on Vista as well. It's nothing new. That's all XP mode is in Windows 7 (a virtual pc)

I do have to agree with DPounds on some points. Windows 7 is better than Vista, but not revolutionary. It makes things appear faster, more pretty, but they could have introduced a lot of these improvement with Vista SP3, and not charge an arm and a leg, (plus a dangly bit if you own Ultimate). I am glad I purchased the pre-order upgrade, but I downgraded in functionality by going from Vista Ultimate to 7 Home Premium (fool me once, shame on you...)

I have a feeling we who upgrade are supplimenting the less profitable products from some of Microsoft's other endevours.

Windows 7 is a good upgrade, but is it worth the price of a full blown new operating system? To me it is no more of an upgrade than Snow Leopard was to Leopard. From Vista, there should be a large discount -- A lot the things fixed under the hood, but fixing problems in an OS we already paid for. At most, $50 to upgrade from whatever version you have in Vista to the equiv. in Windows 7.

From XP, well, Windows 7 is worth the full upgrade price.

My 2 cents...

Fair enough for DPounds to raise this.

The idea is that 7 can run on much lower spec machines - that is the whole point of it.

The Vista experience for netbooks.

MS did exactly the right thing refining what they already had.

If you don't have a low spec machine - you probably won't see any difference in speed, responsiveness, etc. in one or two areas, Vista can perform better - depends on the hardware.

There is not much obvious difference in other respects - a few GUI frillies and a couple of useful improvements to startup repair and so on - more evolutionary than revolutionary.

But then so are most automobiles- the auto on sale now is not much different from the one you bought 2 years ago - they still expect you to pay for the newer model, though.

Sure, the auto engineers could write thousands of words about all the tiny little changes they made and how you get .5% extra acceleration and .0987645 to the power of ten less co2 emission - bottom line - does it make a diff in real terms to the customer ?

FYI - Vista boots faster on my machine - it's not that unusual.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (that's why I am saying what I am).

As for the XP mode.... anyone can install a virtual PC on Vista and run XP on Vista as well. It's nothing new. That's all XP mode is in Windows 7 (a virtual pc)

Anyone can install XP in a any virtual legally if they have a legal copy and don't break licensing agreements but they can run it seemlessly. XP in XP more you get a reall copy of XP FOR FREE.

Lets see you do this stuff with any other Virtual PC
1. Shortcuts are saved to your desktop and run seemlessly.
2. Lets see you get the same try to share you main OS drives with a virtual machine.
3. Match the resolution of you get in Windows 7.
4. Get a full screen display and actually use the full screen.
5. USB device support.
6. You may or may not be able to use your wireless card.

Anyone can install XP in a any virtual legally if they have a legal copy and don't break licensing agreements but they can run it seemlessly. XP in XP more you get a reall copy of XP FOR FREE.

Lets see you do this stuff with any other Virtual PC
1. Shortcuts are saved to your desktop and run seemlessly.
2. Lets see you get the same try to share you main OS drives with a virtual machine.
3. Match the resolution of you get in Windows 7.
4. Get a full screen display and actually use the full screen.
5. USB device support.
6. You may or may not be able to use your wireless card.

Ok, Ok.... So #1 you can't pull off with Vista and a virtual PC (but it 's not that big of a hassle to start Virtual PC to run the software you want to run.)

2 thru 6 I did with my virtual PC on Vista. Just find the right drivers

Ok, Ok.... So #1 you can't pull off with Vista and a virtual PC (but it 's not that big of a hassle to start Virtual PC to run the software you want to run.)

2 thru 6 I did with my virtual PC on Vista. Just find the right drivers

In otherwards you hade to install the drivers twice. In XP mode you don't have to install. XP mode in more integrated to Windows 7 then Virtual PC 2007. I ran Windows 7 in Virtual PC 2007 in Vista and I hit full screen it went larger but the actual screen didn't expand fullt because I have a high res screen.

Plus, there's another really nice bonus using the XP Mode machine vs a virtual XP machine you have installed...

W/ it you can access all drives in your machine from the XP vm, as shared drives! Not w/ a vm you install yourself.

Have some things on a Data Drive you want to use on the XP? Access is right there, @ your fingertips... 1 very fine reason for XP Mode vs a normally installed vm.

Cheers,
Drew

OK, you are right.

But, the point of me starting this thread was to point out the fact that all of these little quirks could be added to Vista as updates instead of MS charging for a whole new OS!

They had to come up with a new operating system to sell because they couldn't sell Vista. Too many people hate it. No matter what they do to update it the general public will never trust the name "Vista". Businesses don't use it either. The only way they got anyone to use it at all was to force it on people with new computers.

Also the average computer user is not like us users who love having new operating systems to learn. They would rather hang onto the same old thing. Millions of XP users are not going to buy W7 at all. They'll have to get it on a new computer the same as Vista.

Hurray for Windows 7

I really can't believe that MS is going to charge people for something that we've already paid for (Vista). All the extra little quirks that they claim is Windows 7, is just Vista with updates.

Well, I belong to a PC group and have heard this and other statements that are negative but without substance.
I have uset the Windows 7 RC version for months now and not only is it fast and with many new features, but it has not failed me once. All my external devices work and I even found a driver for my Minolta Slide Scanner (discontinued in 2006) that works. I can hardly wait to install it on my desktop as the primary OS.

By the way, why would you pay for a new car that only has minimal changes?

Well I'm sure Microsoft paid the developers to write the software, paid for all the materials used in the packaging of the product.

I agree with Silver entirely and:
because Microsoft are so greedy and charge so much they are going to encourage piracy of all their products. But we have been down that road and enough said

[QUOTE
By the way, why would you pay for a new car that only has minimal changes?[/QUOTE]

False analogy

Back