Windows 7 Windows 7 Lag

Seems like most of the people having issues should check their video cards out, drivers are most likely new since your using windows 7 but how old is your video cards??
I would say alot of the lag you experience is from the VC not being able to keep up.

In my case I don't think that my videocard is the problem...
My Nvidia 8800 GT runs the same driver as the newest Nvidia videocards...

Don't remember what it's called, but windows give my hardware these scores:

CPU: 6.4
RAM: 6.4
Video?: 5.9
Gameing?: 5.9
Aero?: 5.9
Harddisc: 5.6

In my case I don't think that my videocard is the problem...
My Nvidia 8800 GT runs the same driver as the newest Nvidia videocards...

Don't remember what it's called, but windows give my hardware these scores:

CPU: 6.4
RAM: 6.4
Video?: 5.9
Gameing?: 5.9
Aero?: 5.9
Harddisc: 5.6

I agree, the 8800 is pretty good, id keep trying drivers though, ive heard people mention problems with the nvidia drivers.
i hate lag!

I'm using:
Windows 7 RC 64bit
Avast 4.8 home free
Nvidia 8800 GT 1Gb edition (With newest beta drivers (185.85))

The only problem I have is lag in closing effect...

try the vista driver :/

the beta of my graphiccard does not work very well...

I have this problem too, so annoying! :(
I tried 7100 and 7201, all kinds of ATi drivers for my 4780 but nothing helps.
I hope it will be resolved before RTM.

I have the same problem. Its caused by windows border transparency. Use Increase the colour intensity or disable transparency. Hope it helps.

I have the same problem. Its caused by windows border transparency. Use Increase the colour intensity or disable transparency. Hope it helps.

I don't think I ever restarted the PC as fast as I did after reading your message :razz:
Alas, no luck there. I tried changing the transparency, turning it off and on, still the same lag.
Do you happen to experience a king of window snapping just when it finishes opening? It's like it opens, then a hitch, then continues opening and instead of finishing smoothly it sort of snaps into position.

lol, when i click the close button the window starts to fade slowly the a slight pause (not even half a second) then the window would fade away fast and smooth. I noticed in that quick pause that window borders went slightly more transparent, hence turning off transparency, recently though i have turned it back on and its the same just not as noticeable.

So, how to make it smooth? I have the same lag, when closing windows on Win7 x64 (6.1.7600)
Just installed new Catalyst for my 4870 Radeon (marked as vista & win7)
Intel E8500 @ 3,8GHz
4Gb DDR2 800MHz

Last edited:
Prior to deintalling AVG and installing 'new' AntiVirus software check the AVG setting in 'Tools, Advanced Settings. Resident Shield' for 'Scan Files on Close'. Uncheck it if it is checked and see if that makes a difference. If it is already unchecked then moving to another Antivirus might be an option.

I fixed my machine

Hey Guys,

After reading through this thread, nothing mentioned was working for me. Then I did an "Optional" windows update install for my video card driver and that fixed all of the issues I was having with lag right away.

Good luck!

so did anyone find a solution yet? i'm running a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (EX110) and the lagged
time on either piece of hardware is so bad i've been really thinking of getting away from Windows 7. it's so
annoying.

I've Resolved This Issue On My Windows 7, 64-Bit Computer

For me, the source of the problem was the Indexing service. There were some issues with disabling indexing, though. Simply disabling the service in the Adminstrator's Tools didn't prevent files from being indexed... at least from my understanding of the situation.

I actually had to open up My Computer, right-click on my HDD's and select "Properties." From there, there was a box checked which reads, "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties."

After clicking "Apply," and waiting a while for the properties of all the files on my HDD's to be changed, the lagging immediately ceased. Apparently, there was still some type of "indexing" going on, even with the service disabled.

I did this about 2 days ago, and since then I haven't had a single issue of lagging. Normally, it would happen every minute or so, especially while watching YouTube videos or listening to iTunes.

It appears that Windows 7's indexing service is a huge resource hog.

I've also noticed that iDrive, the file backup utility, uses a lot of HDD resources. Almost constantly running. I like it, but I have to make sure that it's only running when I'm doing a backup. I have to actually go into the task manager, show processes from all users, and make sure that nothing from iDrive is running or I'll get lagging again, even though indexing is turned off.

I have the same issue, and what upsets me is the hardware i'm using
and I still get problems like this. I don't have any antivirus programs
installed atm its a fresh install of windows with the most up to date chipset
and display drivers. Display Driver 197.45

My solution so far is to turn off the windows open/close animation.

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64Bit ------------- Index Rating
Processor - Q9550 2.83 Ghz ------------ 7.2
Ram - 8GB DDR3 ----------------------- 7.2
Motherboard - XFX 790i Ultra
Graphics Card - XFX GTX 295 ----------- 7.7, 7.7
Primary HDD - Western Digital 500GB, --- 5.9
7200RPM, 32MB Cache.

Back