Windows 7 Windows 7 / Linux Dual Boot Missing Hard Drive Space

bajones234

Hello,

About 6 months ago I set up a new machine dual boot using GParted with the following configuration:

/dev/sda1 ntfs (Windows 7 system reserved) 100 MB
/dev/sda2 ntfs (Windows7 C: drive) 99 GB (includes 4 GB of preloaded page file space)
/dev/sda3 ntfs (Shared drive - Windows7 E: Drive / Ubuntu sda3) 801 GB
/dev/sda4 extended partition 32 GB
/dev/sda5 ext4 (Linux Root) 30 GB
/dev/sda6 linux-swap 2 GB

I set it up so that I could access my E: drive from either the windows or ubuntu operating system. It has worked perfectly so far (about 6 months). But, here is the problem:

For some reason as the share drive (my E: drive / sda3) grows Windows thinks that the windows system drive (sda2/c:drive) is also growing. So that now I have a low storage warning stating that there is only 8.76 GB of free space left on my 99 GB C: drive. When, in reality, there should be about 77 GB of free space. I've made hidden files/folders viewable and downloaded treesizefree so I know what should be on the drive. The Treesizefree output shows the expected 22 GB of space but also shows only 9 GB of free space.

So, the missing space is nearly exactly the size of my shared drive (sda3/E:drive). So somehow, I think the windows OS is double counting my shared E: drive against my C: drive.

I removed the shortcut that I had from the C: to the E: drive on the windows side, as I read that could cause a problem. There was no change however. Could this still be a shortcut link problem? Has anyone else had this problem in a dual boot scenario?

I just tried mapping another partition to my C: drive and adding folders to the library and neither one decreased the free space.

How were the files/folders added to the Shared Drive? Have you done a search to see if the files have duplicates?

Could you use the snipping tool and take a picture of your Disk Management window and attach using the paperclip?

Back