Windows 7 not detecting onboard sound at random

I recently bought a new rig, and things were just fine until a few days ago when I shut the PC down. When it restarted, Win7 said there was no sound card installed. The sound is integrated in the motherboard, and worked just fine an hour before. I tried the troubleshooter, searching for new hardware, everything I can find, and it won't detect the sound. So I took it back to the shop I bought it from. Naturally, they plugged it up & everything worked fine. I brought it home, set up, everything worked fine. The next shut-down and restart, Windows 7 says there is no sound card installed. HELP!

System:
Windows 7 premium 64-bit
MSI NF750-G55 motherboard (integrated sound)
AMD Phenom II X4 970 processor

I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall your sound driver. This used to happen to me when I used to use windows xp, difference was, I never got that message. Let me know if that solves your issue.

Okay, I downloaded and installed all the latest drivers found at MSI & Realtek, still getting the same results. I couldn't figure out how to uninstall the drivers first, though; see below. But the downloads did their thing to no avail. The readme file said they uninstall first, reboot, and then install, but they went straight for the install.

I'm a newbie to 7 and am really finding it hard to get around in the system (the old axiom about old dogs & new tricks is quite true!). So bare with me if I'm poking around in all the wrong places. If I go under Control Panel - Hardware & Sound & click on the Sound tab, all it says is "No audio devices are installed", and all options are grayed out. Under the Owner-PC properties tab I see 4 entries for NVIDIA High Definition Audio, all which report functioning properly. Still, the x-ed out speaker icon remains in the tray saying No Audio Output Device is installed. Clicking that Icon does not help; troubleshooter can't find the problem.

I also ducked into BIOS setup just to make sure onboard sound hadn't been disabled somehow, but it was all hunky dory there.

Any other ideas?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.