Windows 7 Windows 7 on Microsoft Virtual PC

Freelancer852

So I just installed Windows 7 on Microsofts VPC system and it`s working great! Except I`m not sure if I should install graphics and audio drivers on the virtual machine since they`re already installed on the host machine...

Hi Freelancer852 and welcome to the windows7forums forums! :)

Just curious, have you tried Windows 7 outside of a virtual machine yet? It will run phenomenally better.. And of course you'll be able to make full use of your pc's hardware rather than using generic virtual hardware... If you can run Vista you'll definitely be able to run Windows 7.. ;)

I'm currently running Windows XP SP3, Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows 7 Build 6956 32 bit on my "main" pc and I have no problems whatsoever with the triple boot setup.. I have heard some people are having some problems with a dual boot setup consisting of Windows Vista and Windows 7 though so I'm not sure on that setup but I know mine works flawlessly the way it is setup..

I am penta booting Windows XP Professional, Ubuntu 8.10, DreamLinux, Windows VISTA, and Windows 7 with no problems whatsoever. All that you would have to do is create a new partition on the hard drive to install Windows 7 to. I have actually encoutered a fatal error in Windows 7 today so I would refrain from Installing it to your hard drive for the time being.

I am penta booting Windows XP Professional, Ubuntu 8.10, DreamLinux, Windows VISTA, and Windows 7 with no problems whatsoever. All that you would have to do is create a new partition on the hard drive to install Windows 7 to. I have actually encoutered a fatal error in Windows 7 today so I would refrain from Installing it to your hard drive for the time being.

A fatal error? On build 6956? What caused this error, do ya know? Were you able to recover from it at all or was a hard reboot needed?

Well a couple nights ago I upgraded my High Definition Audio Codecs to the driver made for my pc in VISTA by HP. The problem did not start immediately though. The next morning is when it happened and everytime i booted up Windows 7 i would get the usual desktop and taskbar. However whenever I tried to click on ANYTHING i always go a message saying that like C:\Program Files\Filezilla\Filezilla.exe cannot be found. aboolutely nothing would work. I tried opening up even something as simple as the start menu with no luck. So what i did is i booted to my windows DVD and used system restore to restore it to a couple days back and it worked again. In that time i had installed windows update, skype, and the high def. audio codecs.

@Drew

If you barely use XP these days then yes I would go with XP in the VM and then either have Win 7 as your primary OS or go with the dual boot Windows 7/Windows Vista option you mentioned... the only thing about the Win7/Vista dual booting option though is from what I've heard/read it's not the best idea... at least not yet. I've heard from a few people and read on here that they tend to clash or Vista likes to not show 7 in the booting options.. so if you do go that route maybe just keep that in mind in case it happens to you... ;)

Well a couple nights ago I upgraded my High Definition Audio Codecs to the driver made for my pc in VISTA by HP. The problem did not start immediately though. The next morning is when it happened and everytime i booted up Windows 7 i would get the usual desktop and taskbar. However whenever I tried to click on ANYTHING i always go a message saying that like C:\Program Files\Filezilla\Filezilla.exe cannot be found. aboolutely nothing would work. I tried opening up even something as simple as the start menu with no luck. So what i did is i booted to my windows DVD and used system restore to restore it to a couple days back and it worked again. In that time i had installed windows update, skype, and the high def. audio codecs.

Hmm... interesting.. I wonder if Skype is the culprit.. I only suggest that because I didn't have any problems at all with my High Definition Audio Codecs... Is your motherboard an Asus?..

Back
Top Bottom