Windows 7 Windows 7 pro update problems

DogFD

System.. Windows 7 pro sp1. Lenovo lap top, last update registers as 08/05/16

Problem.. When I use the check for updates from the control panel it tells me the last check date is 08.08.16 last updated 08/05/16. When I try to go to windows updater and check for up dates the green bar just keeps gong and going. I have tried for a number of times letting it check for 12 plus hours. No success.

Trouble started the first part of July when I tried to down load the win 10 update. Having tried three different times with no success, I gave up on it. The win 10 down load would get part way loaded then stop. On July 31 when I booted up the computer the hard drive ran for about 15 min. When it was finished I checked my down loaded updates, All the updates having to do with win 10 were gone. I restored my computer to the last restore point, Performed check disk, disk clean up, as well as defrag.

I have checked the admin services and all update services are running. Went to MS windows trouble shooter for update problems and after scan all checked out ok. The trouble shooter found one problem with the service register however it repaired the problem or so it indicated. I have done several scans for virus problems as well as mal ware etc. No problems found with Defender, my other virus software or MS malicious detection and removable tool. My hard drive checks out good as does my RAM.

The only other problem I have noticed is MS windows update uses 49 to 51% of the cpu . I have read other posts stating that it uses a lot of cpu even when idle.

Any ideas or other help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• I would run the update troubleshooter one more time to verify no more issues.
  • Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow
  • Press Windows key + R type services.msc
  • Stop Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
  • Restart the Windows Update service and check for updates again

Thanks One dumb question What are you calling an elevated command prompt. And another interesting fact, I just booted up another computer that had not been on since Dec 2015. It uses win 7 home. When I went to check for updates by the control panel (Check for updates) the msg came across that the computer was "up to date, no update available 12/30/15. Interesting. I know there were lots of updates after Dec 2015. When I went to Check for updates- Same thing green bar goes forever, no activity on the internet.

"Elevated command prompt" means you need to right click on Command prompt and select "Run As Administrator"

Thank you for the info. I will give it a try. I did read information from MS that they were going to update win 7 and 8 the same as Win 10.

Thank you again.

p.s. any idea why the high CPU for running Win update. Seems this may be a long standing problem

No, not the same as W10.:noway: Update mechanisms are different, as are the Activation servers, and the roll-ups will be different also. The general mechanism of pushing out the updates to Windows customers will be similar (Not identical), but W10 has major differences in the kernel of the OS as well as the Windows Update engine is completely rewritten from W7. Not sure where you read that, but it's wrong.

There are about 50 reasons why your CPU utilization is abnormally high. Since you didn't post the Make/Model of specs of your computer, or the type of computer, desktop PC, laptop/tablet, or self-built PC (guess we have to guess what you have), you could have a laptop/tablet that's been dropped or over-temped and has internal circuit damage. Have you looked at your temps using a free utility such as CPU-Z ID or SPECCY? If they are over 72 deg. C; then your computer internals may be cooked and need to be replaced.:waah: As mentioned this is a HUGE problem with mobile devices such as laptops/tablets due to drop damage. You mentioned you tested your computer hard drive and RAM? How did you test them and EXACTLY which diagnostics did you use? And how many passes, or hours did you test each one. Most home users do not test their computers with anything other than built-in diagnostics provided by the computer-maker as in the case of Dell or HP diagnostics. This are not effective nor conclusive.:ohno: The fact that you are running a W7 machine means that you are running a computer that's 6 years old and hard drives are known to be only designed to last 3 years-tops. If you haven't replace that hard drive and you are the original owner of the computer, you need to test it properly or replace it and reinstall windows from factory Recovery Discs; retest your CPU idle. If it abates, your hard drive had failed.:(

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

System.. Windows 7 pro sp1. Lenovo lap top, last update registers as 08/05/16

Problem.. When I use the check for updates from the control panel it tells me the last check date is 08.08.16 last updated 08/05/16. When I try to go to windows updater and check for up dates the green bar just keeps gong and going. I have tried for a number of times letting it check for 12 plus hours. No success.

Trouble started the first part of July when I tried to down load the win 10 update. Having tried three different times with no success, I gave up on it. The win 10 down load would get part way loaded then stop. On July 31 when I booted up the computer the hard drive ran for about 15 min. When it was finished I checked my down loaded updates, All the updates having to do with win 10 were gone. I restored my computer to the last restore point, Performed check disk, disk clean up, as well as defrag.

I have checked the admin services and all update services are running. Went to MS windows trouble shooter for update problems and after scan all checked out ok. The trouble shooter found one problem with the service register however it repaired the problem or so it indicated. I have done several scans for virus problems as well as mal ware etc. No problems found with Defender, my other virus software or MS malicious detection and removable tool. My hard drive checks out good as does my RAM.

The only other problem I have noticed is MS windows update uses 49 to 51% of the cpu . I have read other posts stating that it uses a lot of cpu even when idle.

Any ideas or other help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

This sticky explains all:

Microsoft update changes for Windows 7 and 8.1

@kemical: Thanks for the clarification on the new Update changes. The use of the Microsoft Update Catalog is one of the new changes on manual updates retrieval. Have Bookmarked it for future reference.

Cheers!
BBJ

No, not the same as W10.:noway: Update mechanisms are different, as are the Activation servers, and the roll-ups will be different also. The general mechanism of pushing out the updates to Windows customers will be similar (Not identical), but W10 has major differences in the kernel of the OS as well as the Windows Update engine is completely rewritten from W7. Not sure where you read that, but it's wrong.

There are about 50 reasons why your CPU utilization is abnormally high. Since you didn't post the Make/Model of specs of your computer, or the type of computer, desktop PC, laptop/tablet, or self-built PC (guess we have to guess what you have), you could have a laptop/tablet that's been dropped or over-temped and has internal circuit damage. Have you looked at your temps using a free utility such as CPU-Z ID or SPECCY? If they are over 72 deg. C; then your computer internals may be cooked and need to be replaced.:waah: As mentioned this is a HUGE problem with mobile devices such as laptops/tablets due to drop damage. You mentioned you tested your computer hard drive and RAM? How did you test them and EXACTLY which diagnostics did you use? And how many passes, or hours did you test each one. Most home users do not test their computers with anything other than built-in diagnostics provided by the computer-maker as in the case of Dell or HP diagnostics. This are not effective nor conclusive.:ohno: The fact that you are running a W7 machine means that you are running a computer that's 6 years old and hard drives are known to be only designed to last 3 years-tops. If you haven't replace that hard drive and you are the original owner of the computer, you need to test it properly or replace it and reinstall windows from factory Recovery Discs; retest your CPU idle. If it abates, your hard drive had failed.:(

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I do agree with you it could be the hardware. Except for the following: I have three laptops that ran or are now running Win 7 sp1. On all three I started having the same problems when the various down load updates started coming out about win 10. In July after having the cpu problems for some time I did the following. Under admin services I stopped Win update from running, The cpu usage dropped to 10% or less when the computers were at idle. When I started the service again cpu usage went up to between 49 and 51%. I updated one of the laptops to Win 10 late in July. Cpu usage very small percentage when in idle.

On the two laptops that are still running Win 7 I am going to perform some of the operations described in the threads above. I am going to follow the suggestions about setting them up for the MS win 7 convince rollup. So far all other operations on the Win 7 lap tops work as normal. The one updated to Win 10 pro works well, I am still getting used to the operating system.

I do want to thank you for your help and advise.

And actually I believe you can't update Windows 7 with the Windows update utility anymore. See this for updating instructions. How to Update Windows 7 All at Once with Microsoft’s Convenience Rollup
I have tried many of your suggestions. Here is what has happened so far.
Tried the update trouble shooter six more times. It says everything has been fixed except for a new problem. I now get the error code 0x8008005. I have checked on the MS help sites and there seems to be several ways to correct this. I would very much like your suggestions for the repair. I have also down loaded the all at once convenience package. Did not seem to help. One interesting occurrence I have noticed is: When I went to check my restore points I found three critical updates listed, yet when I checked the" down loaded updates"" from the control panel they were not shown. So the bottom line is that I am still having trouble with the updater.

I would like to get your input please.

Hi again and you're welcome. ;)

Did you ever download the CPU-Z ID or SPECCY apps and check to see if that Lenovo laptop has been thermally damaged or not? Might be worth looking into.

<<<BBJ>>> :D

I must admit I haven't done that yet. Are these apps on the internet and available? Thank your for reminding me. I will get on it and inform you of what I find.

I must admit I haven't done that yet. Are these apps on the internet and available? Thank your for reminding me. I will get on it and inform you of what I find.
>>>Sure, sure. Yes, you can simply Google the terms (CPU-Z ID and SPECCY) to find them. You can download SPECCY for free from piriform.com.<<<
We will be anxiously awaiting your results.:wave:

Have a Great Week!

BBJ

Back