Windows 7 Windows 7 Professional Network Connection Issues

wclim

Dear all,

We have started to use Windows 7 for certain group of users 6 months ago. All of the users have configured to joined our domain
We are facing connection problem while using Windows 7 as following:

1) The network connection, sometime will keep connecting by itself by keep showing loading and connected on the network icon at the taskbar.
I have tried to changed the IP address and re-installed the network driver. The problem still cannot solve. It only happens to some of the Windows 7 users and it is happening sometimes.

2) Sometime while we are trying to access the network drives, the top bar for the windows explorer will showing loading and it take times to access to network drive. The network drives will lost connection but the icon for the network is still showing connected.

Many connection issues we have faced while using Windows 7. For your info, our domain controller is running under Windows Server 2003. Does the compatibility issue is the reason that causing the unstable connection issue for Windows 7 users but not Windows XP where the Domain controller is running on lower lever OS than the client computers?

Please advise.

I can tell you this (much)...

Windows Server 2008 & Windows 7 is a match made in heaven.

Not necessarily but, only that Win Server 2008 & Win7 play very nicely together. That is not to say there can't be a remedy w/ the current set-up. Just tough to 'see' the situation or solution, from this vantage point (removed). Nor am I presuming swiching Servers can be a consideration.

Have you had any experience with the Link Layer Topology Discovey (LLTD)? It is in Windows 7 and allows devices on the network to be discovered. WinXP and I assume Server 2003 does not have it. If you do not know what it is, maybe check the link to see. Your situation, would seem to be related. I am not recommending you install it, so up to you...

Installing Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) on Windows Server 2003

Because we do not have full information on your network configuration, a lot could be wrong here. However, Windows Server 2003 with the latest updates is compatible with Windows 7. Once connected to the domain controller, Windows 7 should operate under the security and network parameters issued by Server 2003. You should check DNS issuance by Windows Server 2003 as a possible culprit, as well as security levels configured from the server (carefully).

Ensure that Windows Server 2003 is completely up-to-date with Windows Updates for compatibility purposes.

Ensure that you are using Group Policy to map the drives and not netlogon scripts. If you are mapping manually on each client computer, consider enforcing a Group Policy to do this instead.

Ensure that your client systems have uninterrupted access to the server using ping commands and network diagnostics.

Check these articles which may help you to some regard:

Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may occur when you modify security settings and user rights assignments

LmCompatibilityLevel

Advanced network adapter troubleshooting for Windows workstations

Addendum: Examine the Event Viewer logs carefully on the Windows 7 client machines and on the Server around the time the network share issue takes place. This may give you just enough information that you need to isolate and resolve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom