Windows 7 Windows 7 RC Build 7100 Wifi Issue

Dkloss28

I have been running Windows 7 on my desktop computer and its been connected hardwire, the place in im now doesnt have the run for it so I installed a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI wirless card, the signal is good but when I try to connect to the wireless it says it cant be connected and it doesnt actually tell me the issue. When I tried to run the DLink software it tells me the device isnt installed. I installed the newest drivers for Vista and I also ran it as admin and changed the compatability to Windows Vista and still the same issue. Does anyone else have this issue and maybe there is a fix for it.

I am currently d/ling the RTM version so I can test it with that.

Any help would be much appreciated

I installed the RTM version still the same issue, I will try more troubleshooting to see if I can figure it out unless someone else is having the same issue

Sometimes installing hardware like that requires that you install the software before you plug in the hardware. Could that be the problem?

That could be the issue, when you look at the installation notes for the card online it does say to install the software first, but I found that after i installed it but I will do that tonight to see if it works

Thank You

I tried a whole bunch of stuff and nothing worked, I installed Windows XP on another drive and the wireless works fine, I will try to find out some more stuff to try and see if I can get it to work

I did that also, I also changed the security from WPA to WEP and that still didnt work, I would try setting it open but I need to wait for the person to come out

I did that also, I also changed the security from WPA to WEP and that still didnt work, I would try setting it open but I need to wait for the person to come out

in your wifi properties window also go into configure your wireless adapter and go to advanced.....make sure your 802.11x is set to long and short. and the value for network address is not present assuming your using dhcp

I havent updated since I had XP also installed on the PC with the wireless card working but now I really want to get my wndows 7 to work. I have checked those settings and still had an issue, the other thing I did notice is when I hit connect to a 2wire named router it would give me the error windows cannot connect, but when I try to connect to a netgear named router, as soon as I hit connect it asks me for the security key, it doesnt do that with the 2wire named routers. Do you think that there might be a compatability issue with Windows 7 and 2wire? Please let me know if there is a fix to this issue,

Thank You
Don

I once tried to add a new computer onto an old wireless network. Belkin Tech Support told me to reset the router by sticking a paper clip into the little hole in the back. That worked.

Of course I had already tried to add the connection. I had to delete the failed connection and start over after resetting the router.

I also have a thread on Technet about this, basically whats happening now is when I try to connect to the 2 networks around me named "2wire***" it automatically gives me an error on windows, when I hit connect on other networks not named "2wire***" it asks for the passphrase. Is anyone else having this issue with a 2wire router setup with the default SSID

Those usernames are from AT&T DSL. My neighbor has it. They must have a different way of validating.

Last edited:
It is possible because I can hit connect to a netgear named router and it would ask for the passkey, im going to talk to the landlord when I see him to see if he wants to change the name to something else besides 2wire to see if that will work

Back