Windows 7 Windows 7 RC is the real deal

tj82

Very happy with Windows 7 RC. Microsoft have hit this one on the head and the customers can kiss Vista goodbye now forever. Runs pretty quick and is snappy too. This will probably be the best operating system that Microsoft have ever released. Goodbye XP and Goodbye Vista. I can see why Vista had bad publicity. Is quick but can be slow sometimes. Horrid.

Very happy with Windows 7 RC. Microsoft have hit this one on the head and the customers can kiss Vista goodbye now forever. Runs pretty quick and is snappy too. This will probably be the best operating system that Microsoft have ever released. Goodbye XP and Goodbye Vista. I can see why Vista had bad publicity. Is quick but can be slow sometimes. Horrid.

Honestly I can say I see no difference in responsiveness and performance between Vista SP1 and 7 beta/rc1

7 looks different but testing over a dozen games and 3 benchmark utilities .. I see little to no difference in performance.

I've had vista since jan of 2007 and since that summer of that year it has been a rock solid performer and very stable through 3 vid card upgrades and two motherboars and three hard drive upgrades. the latest motherboard upgrade ( 5 months ago) I didnt even do a fresh install in vista and it's still rock solid and just as quick as a fresh windows 7 install.

I still like windows 7 but in my experience so far .. it's just vista with a face lift( I know peopel will disagree but this is my opinion)

Honestly I can say I see no difference in responsiveness and performance between Vista SP1 and 7 beta/rc1

7 looks different but testing over a dozen games and 3 benchmark utilities .. I see little to no difference in performance.

I've had vista since jan of 2007 and since that summer of that year it has been a rock solid performer and very stable through 3 vid card upgrades and two motherboars and three hard drive upgrades. the latest motherboard upgrade ( 5 months ago) I didnt even do a fresh install in vista and it's still rock solid and just as quick as a fresh windows 7 install.

I still like windows 7 but in my experience so far .. it's just vista with a face lift( I know peopel will disagree but this is my opinion)

I have to disagree and agree with you.. ;) I agree because I find if you use Windows Vista and Windows 7 on identical hardware than yes there's not much difference.. however, if you upgrade your hardware or purchase a new computer than I think you'll notice a big difference in many areas..(I recently built myself a nice new rig, see system specs) and I notice a HUGE difference now between Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC.. 7 kicks Vista's a$$ all over the place!

So I think it's safe to say that Windows 7 thrives on next-gen hardware and Vista is happy with current hardware.. ;)

Well with W7 tonight I got into the libraries. I made a shortcut to them on my desktop, so now I can access my music, photo's, video's, documents and a new library I created for recipes, with just a couple of mouse clicks, Very handy !!

I also just ripped a cd into W7 with WMP 12 and burned a flawless cd for my truck and it plays great !! Maybe not a big deal, but important to me.

My Windows Experience Index is now upto 3.4 from 2.9 with the beta. Ya me !!

So far W7 has been working great for me. No crashes or lockups. Hooks up to the internet in no time.

Only problem I'm having now is it doesn't shut down properly. I have to force a shut down to turn it off. Oh well, I can live with that. You watch, one of these days it'll just start shutting down right on it's own, that seems to be the way Windows works sometimes.

:)

djwayne,

I just thought of something.

Before you shutdown, take a look at task manager and see if an app is still running that you have closed previously

After using XP for about 7+ years, I'm ready to move on to another OS. Sure MS is working on Singularity and there will be quite a crowd going after that when they release a test version, but I feel that owning the very last Windows OS will be something special. I love Aero, slideshow desktops, and WEI (which gives me something a bit more to mention along with my PC specs). However, I hate the fact that I had to downgrade to a noisy video card just so I can use a 16:10 resolution (I believe W7 is geared towards the Radeon HD cards). Still, I think I will be glad to upgrade from XP as I can be kept up "in the game" and could probably benefit from what 7 has to offer. Also, I love the fast(er) logon/logoff times. I wonder if the release version will install in about 30 minutes....

Thanks, I checked the task manager and nothing is running so I tried another shut down and no dice, so I tried a re-start and again, it just keeps hanging up on the "shutting down" page. Oh well...

After using XP for about 7+ years, I'm ready to move on to another OS. Sure MS is working on Singularity and there will be quite a crowd going after that when they release a test version, but I feel that owning the very last Windows OS will be something special. I love Aero, slideshow desktops, and WEI (which gives me something a bit more to mention along with my PC specs). However, I hate the fact that I had to downgrade to a noisy video card just so I can use a 16:10 resolution (I believe W7 is geared towards the Radeon HD cards). Still, I think I will be glad to upgrade from XP as I can be kept up "in the game" and could probably benefit from what 7 has to offer. Also, I love the fast(er) logon/logoff times. I wonder if the release version will install in about 30 minutes....

I have to ask, where did you hear that Windows 7 was the very last Windows OS? I hate to tell you but Windows 7 is NOT the very last Windows OS.. ;) Microsoft is already hiring staff and beginning work on Windows 8 and I'm pretty sure there will be a new Windows OS for as long as Microsoft keeps making money off of it.. ;)

As far as Singularity goes.. well it's been in development for years now so I wouldn't get too excited about that one.. ;) sure it'll be interesting to check out once it's finally released but it'll be nothing compared to Windows 7 or 8.. in my opinion anyway...

As far as releasing a version that will install in 30 minutes.. well Windows 7 actually installs in 16-18 minutes via Clean install on my new rig.. (See system specs).. :) So they've already done that..

Make sure your Windows 7 installation is up-to-date and is free from infections, along with the latest drivers. It may seem slower too because the driver manufacturer has yet to release stable Windows 7 drivers.

Make sure your Windows 7 installation is up-to-date and is free from infections, along with the latest drivers. It may seem slower too because the driver manufacturer has yet to release stable Windows 7 drivers.

I wasn't saying Windows 7 was slow.. ;) I was saying it's screaming fast over Vista.. I simply said on identical hardware it isn't a whole lot faster than Windows Vista.. ;) As in it thrives on next-gen hardware..

I know all about tweaking it and making sure it is infection free.. no worries.. :)

I have to disagree and agree with you.. ;) I agree because I find if you use Windows Vista and Windows 7 on identical hardware than yes there's not much difference.. however, if you upgrade your hardware or purchase a new computer than I think you'll notice a big difference in many areas..(I recently built myself a nice new rig, see system specs) and I notice a HUGE difference now between Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC.. 7 kicks Vista's a$$ all over the place!

So I think it's safe to say that Windows 7 thrives on next-gen hardware and Vista is happy with current hardware.. ;)

I find this rather puzzling. I have run comparison benchmarks on my PC on which I can dual boot into RC or XP. I find the performance on all the bechmarks I have tried just about the same. My mobo is an Asus P5B-E, the CPU is a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz) and the disk system is a pair of WD Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration. How could any upgrade lead to a "HUGE difference" in performance between the two operating systems?

With the way operating systems are right now, there's not much to add feature wise, so programmers finally have a chance to slim down on the code. Think about it. Why is it this generation of Operating Systems: Windows 7, Snow Leopard, Jaunty Jackalope are all way faster than it's predecessor(s)? Being a programmer, you first get the app to function, you throw on a UI, then slim down the code, in that order.

With the way operating systems are right now, there's not much to add feature wise, so programmers finally have a chance to slim down on the code. Think about it. Why is it this generation of Operating Systems: Windows 7, Snow Leopard, Jaunty Jackalope are all way faster than it's predecessor(s)? Being a programmer, you first get the app to function, you throw on a UI, then slim down the code, in that order.

It may well be that the development from now on will be mainly directed towards performance however Radenight is claiming a huge improvement with the current RC which is at variance with my experience.

Hi all. I'm new here, but not new to windows of any versions. I started using dos and windows 3.0 (A long time ago)

This RC 7 is to me no different to Vista at all. Yes, there is a few added features. I like the way they have changed paint, and a couple of the little programs.

The fact that to get it to work the way you want it too, you have to tweak this and that to just to get it there.

I tried the 32 bit version and the 64. I could not get over the fact that there is no email program, unless the have completely renamed it, or have it hidden amoungst the very complex start bar. At least on Vista's first run, windows mail was on the list.

Sticky notes is another one of the many programs that have been around for a while, and one of the many that have been added to this release as something new. :confused:

To me it is a revamped version of Vista and certainly not worth the 2.39GB of download.
I cannot get it to install on my semi-decent computer unless I disable/disconnect the 3d PCI Express Video card.

I certainly won't be wasting my money buying it when it eventually comes out. And I won't be recommending it as an upgrade to the 200 or more computers that are used for the company that I work for.

I think I'll stick to the stability of XP.

Geoff

I agree with you entirely Geoff. I bought my first PC in 1984 and have used most versions of DOS and Windows. XP is the best version of Windows I have used. Both Vista and 7 I find offer no real advantages and have many irritations of totally unnecessary changes causing users to waste time searching for what were familiar features in XP. Mostly they're still around but why the treasure hunt.

I did a defrag with W7 RC and there is no graphical display either for analyse or for defrag, this is progress?

Back
Top Bottom