Windows 7 Windows 7 RC - May 5th

I also noticed the build number was the same as build 7100.

I expected to see somthing in the name with RC in it.

Same size as build 7100 and the exact same name.

Are you sure this is the true RC build?

On 32-bit install, I kept getting error realed to sg****.dll and autorun.dll

WTH is autorun .dll?

Autorun points to setup.exe.

I then was about to get to the Expanding file section and it sat there at 0% for an hour.

Then downloaded the 64-bit and it';s running fine.

Also Bad Image when installing 32-bit.

I tried Imgburn at 1x speed and verified files, still didn't work, then I tries ISO burn, same results.

Anyone else having problems with the 32-bit version?

Yes, it was download from MS site.

Maybe a bad download a few bits astray ? Give it another go should be fine :)

Hea whoosh,

I've downloaded the 32-bit version 3 times.

Will the 64-bit version run my old apps run properly, or should i downkoad the Virtual PC or XP option?

Hea whoosh,

I've downloaded the 32-bit version 3 times.

Will the 64-bit version run my old apps properly, or should i downkoad the Virtual PC or XP option?

Think the virtual PC or XP is a good thing to have .
Dont know why your having such a hard time with the 32 bit though ?

What about the Windows version being the same?

I ran slmgr /xpr and it stated it expires on June 4th, 2009

You sure you downloaded the RC? It sounds like you got the original beta if it's showing a timebomb of June '09.

Downloaded from MS this morning.

Already activated it online, 64-bit version

What is your guys name of the download file?

I had downloaded the XP mode software the other day from a non official site and it worked fine .
I downloaded the 64X from the official site and it installed fine RC 7100 .
Decided to re-download the Xp mode software from the offical MS site . Installed the windows 7 Windows 6.1-KB958559-x64 . That installed fine . Came to install the windows XP mode software and was told it was not windows software ?

Got the windows virtual Xp mode I had on another drive and it installed no probs to complete the set up of my windows XP mode .
Puzzled as to why the software messed up when I tried too download it the second time when the first time it worked great ?

Finally got it all to work.

Same as you whoosh, I had to use the older version of Virtual PC 2007.

The links on Microsoft site for the XP compatiablity mode and Virtual PC are identical...WTH Microsoft.

I seen on the Microsoft site, another link for Virtual PC SP1.

Not going to try that now.

Thanks for your help, but I'm going to be ouside working on my car....Will chechin later.

Finally got it all to work.

Same as you whoosh, I had to use the older version of Virtual PC 2007.

The links on Microsoft site for the XP compatiablity mode and Virtual PC are identical...WTH Microsoft.

I seen on the Microsoft site, another link for Virtual PC SP1.

Not going to try that now.

Thanks for your help, but I'm going to be ouside working on my car....Will chechin later.

Yes strange that the offical site xp mode stuff caused a problem and the unofficial site stuff worked = wierd ?

Another thing,

Since I was using the 32-bit edition, it saves the c:\Program Files\Program Files (x86) and the same old useless windows.old folder.

I only have 7.63 GB left from my C: partition which is 25GB in size.

I realize these can be savely deleted and the addition of those last two updates, but those "so called minimum requirements" for hard drive space is a total joke.

Not one 3rd-party app has been installed.

Another thing,

Since I was using the 32-bit edition, it saves the c:\Program Files\Program Files (x86) and the same old useless windows.old folder.

I only have 7.63 GB left from my C: partition which is 25GB in size.

I realize these can be savely deleted and the addition of those last two updates, but those "so called minimum requirements" for hard drive space is a total joke.

Not one 3rd-party app has been installed.

Wow ! That is maybe too small for the installation of windows 7 32X ? Not sure cause I would not even install on less then 100gig . Mybe its a space problem not sure this way = had a few drinks just seems a very small allotment for windows 7 /

I also found the minimum requirements to be pretty poorly constructed.. ;) Hard Drive's are dirt cheap these days and abundant.. why don't they just state something like 100GB minimum and be done with it.. I mean really when you think about it.. someone who only has a 60GB hard drive.. when he installs Win 7 and applies all the updates and installs his regularly used apps.. he's gonna be left with 20Gb or less most likely.. throw that Windows.old foler in there and he's down another 8GB's or so.. So after all that he's lucky to have 10GB's of free space on his HDD and he'll end up with a poorly functioning OS due to the lack of HDD space.. :)

I noticed both Vista and Win 7 don't work all that well when there's not much HDD space left.. So in my opinion Microsoft should be stepping up the minimum HDD space required in these specs.. ;)

I also found the minimum requirements to be pretty poorly constructed.. ;) Hard Drive's are dirt cheap these days and abundant.. why don't they just state something like 100GB minimum and be done with it.. I mean really when you think about it.. someone who only has a 60GB hard drive.. when he installs Win 7 and applies all the updates and installs his regularly used apps.. he's gonna be left with 20Gb or less most likely.. throw that Windows.old foler in there and he's down another 8GB's or so.. So after all that he's lucky to have 10GB's of free space on his HDD and he'll end up with a poorly functioning OS due to the lack of HDD space.. :)

I noticed both Vista and Win 7 don't work all that well when there's not much HDD space left.. So in my opinion Microsoft should be stepping up the minimum HDD space required in these specs.. ;)

Yeah all good ! Oops me the worst for wear ! Yes gotta say agree with Radenight = al;way do cos he is good :D
Dang me splendor is a bit the worst for wear = eek!

Okay I just finished installing Windows 7 RC, it went fairly smooth. The big surprise was I used Windows Easy Transfer to save my settings, files, pictures, bookmarks to a USB drive.....and it worked beautifully, the majority of my settings and misc stuff is now all on the new RC instalation, saving me many hours of work and grief.

You can find the Windows Easy Transfer tool in All Programs>Accesories>System Tools> Windows Easy Transfer.

:)

Okay I just finished installing Windows 7 RC, it went fairly smooth. The big surprise was I used Windows Easy Transfer to save my settings, files, pictures, bookmarks to a USB drive.....and it worked beautifully, the majority of my settings and misc stuff is now all on the new RC instalation, saving me many hours of work and grief.

You can find the Windows Easy Transfer tool in All Programs>Accesories>System Tools> Windows Easy Transfer.

:)

Good stuff n ty :)

Man come one Evenbalance, make a patch for Punkbuster already :mad:

Download went pretty quick for me, not going to bother installing x64, I trust the md5's from the earilier leak. x86 went nicely into VMWare Workstation though. Good work Microsoft.

Man come one Evenbalance, make a patch for Punkbuster already :mad:

Download went pretty quick for me, not going to bother installing x64, I trust the md5's from the earilier leak. x86 went nicely into VMWare Workstation though. Good work Microsoft.
Erm yeah! Me off to sleep = lost the plot :)

Back