Windows 7 Windows 7 --- rc1 thoughts

jimbo45

Hi guys
I'm now reasonably satisfied with build 7022 but unless I can get gold of RC1 I really doesn't see much point doimg any more testing -- .

Updates are still being issued for VISTA so I'll keep that up to date for eventual transfer update.

However if we don't get any updates for 7000/7022 then by the time RC1 appears we are going to have an even more "out of date" OS than VISTA.

Beta testing makes sense IF WE GET REGULAR UPDATES AS WELL. If the RC1 is "On its way" then any feedback the 7000/7022 sends to Microsoft is likely to be out of date and ignored.,

I'm happy so far with W7 -- but if the public aren't going to get a sniff at RC1 then I'm done testing and will revert to the previous OS until W7 is ready.

Cheers
jimbo

I think it's a bit premature to have this discussion.. nothing has been confirmed for sure yet.. ;) Until there is a release date for the RC I don't see any point in getting all bent out of shape and reverting back to Vista.. In my opinion, Beta testing is something that never stops.. it's one of those ongoing things.. and even if the feedback falls on deaf ears now, who knows maybe it WILL eventually be listened to and be implemented into the RTM or SP1.. who really knows.. ;)

I really don't think your being very fair either.. Microsoft gave anyone who wanted it access to the Beta, which is more then they've done in the past with upcoming Windows OS's.. ;) and now your saying just because the general public might not get access to the RC via Microsoft servers your going to abandon Windows 7 and go back to Vista? hahahaha That's some excellent dedication to a product....

So you're saying that you want Microsoft to update an OS build that isn't even being used internally by microsoft, and you also want them to continue to update the beta when their time can be better spent finalizing the OS and getting it out to customers sooner?

Wow. I disagree with your outlook on the matter, very heavily.

First of all, what we're getting are OS builds designed to give feedback AS IS. It's not designed for you to use daily and be secure, it's not designed to be updated so rigorously that there's no reason to move to the final release, it's simply a release that people can use, if they wish, to help MS find bugs. Simple as that. I don't think any updates at all should be released for beta/RC builds unless they are to save your system from killing itself beyond repair. Period.

Hi all
I think I was a bit misunderstood here
what I really meant (always dangerous posting wihile drinking a nice big glass of Malt Scotch Whisky) was that if a build or 2 AFTER 7000 / 7022 comes back we could still be testing and reporting back on stuff that's already been "allegedly" fixed and it would make sense to let the beta testers try it out.

I don't mean that every internal build should be released to the public -- and I'm so far very (actually more than very) happy with W7 and certainly understand the concept of beta testing.

I just don't want (as I'm sure many othet testers are of the same opinion) to be spending a lot of time and effort in trying to fix a lot of stuff that's already been fixed by a later build as this doesn't make the best use of "Human Resources".

For instance IE8 RC1 (far better than the IE8 Beta in spite of a few "glitches") still has ONE flaw which is a bit of a pain to get around -- you get a message "Start up with addons disabled") and it's a slight nusance but "can be lived with" --of course a later build will fix this.

Another problem in build 7022 is that when you use Windows update (still works fine for updating other Microsoft products such as Office, Visio, Visual Studio etc. etc) is that you always get an introductory screen and then you have to swiitch to another session to actually get into the update screen --this may also be related to the IE8 RC1 problem.

I'm happy to test stuff "to destruction" if need be and send reports back to M$ but I don't really want to spend hours on working on stuff thats already been fixed.

I'm sure W7 is going to be a huge winner -- and actually on the "unofficial grapevine" there's a lot of discussion going on as to whether a public RC1 should be released. The consensus appears to be YES but they are going to wait till possibly around Easter Time before making any announcements on that score --meanwhile there are some planned INTERNAL ONLY updates.

Sorry for the mis-understanding guys.

Cheers
jimbo

In W7 I have problems with Media Center, which I have reported.
But if I get no feedback from MS, and no updates to the problems, how will I know if they fixed the problems?

I will not upgrade a working WinXP system to a non-working W7 release. And I will not try unofficial Torrent versions and downloads.

MS released a public beta of W7 to find and fix problems. But if the public is left out in the cold to trust MS to fix the problems reported, well, MS will find one less buyer of W7 with me. Because if I don't see updates to fix what does not work for me during the test period, I am far less likely to buy the final version.

And so far (except for a couple driver updates) all I have received from Windows Update is Defender updates.

How can MS know if they fixed the problem on my machine, if they don't send me the fix?
????????????????

The Beta was sent out in good faith, by Microsoft, to gain as much across the board feedback as possible, bearing in mind the huge amont of software being deployed by worldwide users.
They have received a mass of the hoped for feedback.
That was the only purpose of the public release.
There is no reason to expect that you will, in turn, be given feedback in any form, to advise if the problem has been fixed.
The bugs are not, at this stage, infinite. There is, remember, a very large selected group of Tech Beta testers, who are still providing any feedback on bugs found in subsequent builds.
I think you can assume, within the limits, that if the bug sent in by yourself, and probably hundreds of others, is found to be genuine and not too computer specific, then it will be fixed by the time of the RTM. In the latter case, it would probably be passed on to the particular hardware producer for examination.
If you sincerely feel you are "wasting time and effort" then by all means, do not stress yourself and stop.

It was generous of MS to allow such a wide distribution of a package which basically ran very well. It is unreasonable to adopt a policy that, because you have not been privy to any follow up, you will not buy the final version.
I would suggest that, If you took that stance across the board, you would end up with no new software, let alone OS's, in the future
I have not for example, personly been consulted on the latest Mac Os or nero software etc

The Beta was sent out in good faith, by Microsoft, to gain as much across the board feedback as possible, bearingin mind the huge amont of software being deployed by worldwide users.
They have received a mass of the hoped for feedback.
That was the only purpose of the public release.
There is no reason to expect that you will, in turn, be given feedback in any form, to advise if the problem has been fixed.
The bugs are not, at this stage, infinite. There is, remember, a very large selected group of Tech Beta testers, who are still providing any feedback on bugs found in subsequent builds.
I think you can assume, within the limits, that if the bug sent in by yourself, and probably hundreds of others, is found to be genuine and not too computer specific, then it will be fixed by the time of the RTM. In the latter case, it would probably be passed on to the particular hardware producer for examination.
If you sincerely feel you are "wasting time and effort" then by all means, do not stress yourself and stop.

It was generous of MS to allow such a wide distribution of a package which basically ran very well. It is unrasonable to adopt a policy that, because you have not been privy to any follow up, you will not buy the final version.
I would suggest that, If you took that stance across the board, you would end up with no new software, let alone OS's, in the future
I have not for example, personly been consulted on the latest Mac Os or nero software etc

I couldn't have said it better myself.. Very good post davehc... :)

Back
Top Bottom