Windows 7 Windows 7 RC1 x64 crashes during large file operations

auralanarchy

Hi all, thanks in advance for reading! I've been experiencing these issues since I began my foray into Windows 7 over a week ago. Before I describe the issues, here's my system's stats:

Asus P5N-D
2x2gb Corsair xms2 DDR2 800 @ stock
C2D E8400 @ stock
nvidia geforce 8800 gts
1 x WD Raptor 37gb sata
1 x WD Caviar 250gb sata
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb sata

During large file operations (moving, copying/pasting etc) between HDD's of items (single files or groups of files and folders, and from the Caviar to either Samsung) exceeding several gb's worth, the system would hard lock - no mouse/keyboard, all visual progress halted, no visual HDD activity. If left alone, the system would very intermittently flash a black display and return to the frozen desktop display, eventually winking out to a total lack of display output altogether.

Upon soft reboot, the destination HDD has been dropped from BIOS, boot menu, etc. Boot hangs at midpoint during the splash.

Hard power-cycling yields the HDD reappearing and Windows starts without issues.

What I've done so far:
-Disconnected destination HDD and tried the other spinpoint, same result.
-Diag'd all HDD's with manufacturers' tools, all pass.
-Flashed BIOS to most recent update, no change.
-Swapped out the WD Raptor for a freshly unboxed WD 640gb Caviar Black. Clean installed W7 x64 after format etc and did NOTHING (this means installed no drivers, no programs, nada) but attempt the file operations after first startup post-install. Same issues. (Sidenote - after power-cycling, W7 booted without Aero and threw up 'access denied' sorts of errors when trying to access anything within the start menu, desktop context menus, etc. Will attempt a second fresh install after sleeping a while.)

I should also mention that these crashes do not generate entries in the event viewer system log - only 'unexpected shutdown' entries from me power-cycling the damn thing.

I know other users have had similar issues with HDD drops, and some have had luck bumping BIOS voltages a bit but I see no reason that should be necessary given what I've got under the hood. I also should mention the md5 hash checks out on the iso image from MSDN, I made sure of this after getting a bum image the first time around.

A few final notes: I have considered the possibility of bunk SATA controller drivers, but for one I've read of others having similar issues, and updating said drivers to no avail, and for two I was running winXP x64 (100% updated) perfectly on the very same hardware mere hours prior. As for RAM instability, memtest86 on my xp x64 system ran flawless & system was prime95 stable for hours on end. I haven't attempted stress testing yet as I don't believe this is a hardware issue. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, but good explanations of details always help!
tongue.gif

Same Thing happens to me. Even with groups of files around 1gig approx. Not really got much information about the problem itself but happens fairly frequently so i've resorted to doing files one by one for now.

I have
Asus p5n-e sli (latest non-beta Bios)
Samsung SCSI HD753LJ HDD (750 GB) (used for files and installs...usually where i am copying TO where problem occurs)
ST332062 (Seagate 7200.10 Sata 300) (where W7 and XP are both installed)
E6600 CPU @ stock settings.
2gb Ram
9600gt (not that that's important surely?)

Windows 7 RC1 x64 version with updates automatically installing.

I'm getting the exact same behaviour. Only way of resuming use after the hard lock is by turning off pc, disconnecting HDD's....booting again....turning off...reconecting HDDs....turning back on, and then re-assigning the boot priorities in Bios. If ijust reboot without doing this rather odd proceduce, the loading splash screen just freezes up and nothing happens. the startup repair (i think thats what it's called?) is another option i get when trying to startup windows again, and that locks up too during.

Can't say i've done all the similar tests that you have mentioned, due to the fact i don't understand what on earth you are referring to with most of them haha, but i'm slightly relieved to see someone else with a similar issue as i know its probably not a hardware issue. It was all running fine and dandy before.

On a sidenote, i do not have problems when handling large files in other circumstances, ie. unrarring large files etc. it seems the problem is only in W7's operations? hmm

Anyone managed to find any solutions ? i foresee this to be a huge ballache.

I can't speak to un-rar'ing large archives, but my guess is that it wouldn't have been an issue (I've since reverted back to XP x64).

If you still have the W7 image file could you run an md5 hash check to make sure your image isn't the problem? This should do it for you - MD5 Hash Checker for Windows

ok thanks ill check it out. so let me clarify. Ill run this check on the .ISO i used to install. if there IS problems that it finds, i should re-downlaod and re-install with a different ISO. (after checking that one aswell obviously).

Yep, the md5 hash should match exactly the one listed here -> Link Removed due to 404 Error depending on which version you have :)

Hi all, thanks in advance for reading! I've been experiencing these issues since I began my foray into Windows 7 over a week ago. Before I describe the issues, here's my system's stats:

Asus P5N-D
2x2gb Corsair xms2 DDR2 800 @ stock
C2D E8400 @ stock
nvidia geforce 8800 gts
1 x WD Raptor 37gb sata
1 x WD Caviar 250gb sata
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb sata

During large file operations (moving, copying/pasting etc) between HDD's of items (single files or groups of files and folders, and from the Caviar to either Samsung) exceeding several gb's worth, the system would hard lock - no mouse/keyboard, all visual progress halted, no visual HDD activity. If left alone, the system would very intermittently flash a black display and return to the frozen desktop display, eventually winking out to a total lack of display output altogether.

Upon soft reboot, the destination HDD has been dropped from BIOS, boot menu, etc. Boot hangs at midpoint during the splash.

Hard power-cycling yields the HDD reappearing and Windows starts without issues.

What I've done so far:
-Disconnected destination HDD and tried the other spinpoint, same result.
-Diag'd all HDD's with manufacturers' tools, all pass.
-Flashed BIOS to most recent update, no change.
-Swapped out the WD Raptor for a freshly unboxed WD 640gb Caviar Black. Clean installed W7 x64 after format etc and did NOTHING (this means installed no drivers, no programs, nada) but attempt the file operations after first startup post-install. Same issues. (Sidenote - after power-cycling, W7 booted without Aero and threw up 'access denied' sorts of errors when trying to access anything within the start menu, desktop context menus, etc. Will attempt a second fresh install after sleeping a while.)

I should also mention that these crashes do not generate entries in the event viewer system log - only 'unexpected shutdown' entries from me power-cycling the damn thing.

I know other users have had similar issues with HDD drops, and some have had luck bumping BIOS voltages a bit but I see no reason that should be necessary given what I've got under the hood. I also should mention the md5 hash checks out on the iso image from MSDN, I made sure of this after getting a bum image the first time around.

A few final notes: I have considered the possibility of bunk SATA controller drivers, but for one I've read of others having similar issues, and updating said drivers to no avail, and for two I was running winXP x64 (100% updated) perfectly on the very same hardware mere hours prior. As for RAM instability, memtest86 on my xp x64 system ran flawless & system was prime95 stable for hours on end. I haven't attempted stress testing yet as I don't believe this is a hardware issue. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, but good explanations of details always help!
tongue.gif

Im also getting this problem on a i7 system, but all works fine with vista..

Im stunned.. No comments.. That sounds TOTALLY weird... :eek: There is no sense in that problem description? Try using Tera Copy (Copy your files faster with TeraCopy) - its free and works with Vista / Win7 (x86 & x64) - i am using it with Win7 x64 myself. It replaces Windows own transferring - and does a MUCH better job. If you register the full version you get more features, but in everyday life, those aren't necessary..

Good luck, damn that problem sux! :(

Im stunned.. No comments.. That sounds TOTALLY weird... :eek: There is no sense in that problem description? Try using Tera Copy (Copy your files faster with TeraCopy) - its free and works with Vista / Win7 (x86 & x64) - i am using it with Win7 x64 myself. It replaces Windows own transferring - and does a MUCH better job. If you register the full version you get more features, but in everyday life, those aren't necessary..

Yeh Im with TwinA, try TeraCopy, its a lot better.
Your problem does suck. Cant hurt to bump the SB voltage if others have has success though. See if you can find newer chipset drivers too.

When I get around to trying w7 again (probably around the time of the official release) in a dual-boot, I'll try this as a work-around should the problem still exist. I'll also make quick work of installing this on my XP & vista systems as well, thanks for the tip :D

Edit: and loathe - I did also try updating all chipset drivers, but to no avail there either. If it comes down to it I'll tinker with the voltages, but those sorts of tweaks shouldn't be necessary with stock-clock hardwares and just a fresh OS.

Last edited:
Ok im also getting random crashes .. i have just put w7 on my media Pc.E8400, RAMPAGE X48 WITH 2 3870X'S AFTER RUNNING FOR 45MIN THE COMPUTER CRASHED LOL.. GOING TO TRY WITHOUT THE W7 UPDATES..

Ok im also getting random crashes .. i have just put w7 on my media Pc.E8400, RAMPAGE X48 WITH 2 3870X'S AFTER RUNNING FOR 45MIN THE COMPUTER CRASHED LOL.. GOING TO TRY WITHOUT THE W7 UPDATES..

Were you idling at the time of crash? Or playing audio/viewing media? A/V rendering crashes happened to me for a while too, updating all drivers and completely updating W7 fixes those.

extracting compressed files=hard crash

I just started getting the same thing. I try to extract a compressed file and system locks

Were you idling at the time of crash? Or playing audio/viewing media? A/V rendering crashes happened to me for a while too, updating all drivers and completely updating W7 fixes those.

idling! this time on a diffrent sys yes and also just moven the mouse to close down.. will try all th win7 driver i can get..

I have the same problem although it also seem to occur at other file operations such as installing programs aswell.

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate

So it stille the same problem as in this Thread!

!I just installed Windows 7 ulitmate x64 bit and everything seems to run as it should!

straight until you try to transfer the file to the NAS server, so it just freezes the screen and there is no more, and you are forced to keep the start button to restart.

It does not blue screen or anything, it just says that Windows was not closed as it should and you can now choose failsafe or normal.

Can anyone help me?

Windows 7 Freezes on file transfers - Windows 7 specific bug!

Same Problem: Windows 7 freezes completely within minutes while doing large file transfers. That behaviour is reproducable.

That symptom makes it hard to narrow down the cause of the freezing, for there is no BSOD or entry stored in the event log. This is what I tested to come to the conclusion, that Windows 7 has a major bug which makes working with it unbearable:

First of all I made sure, that the hardware is ok. Therefore I ran

- Memtest
- Seatools/GSmart
- Prime95

And I found, that the RAM and CPU are both ok and run for hours under heavy stress. Also the HDDs/SSDs show no SMART errors. All components are within their temperatur range. I did no overclocking.

That leaves one with the software. So I made sure, that all drivers and software packages are up to date. With the hardware OK and the software up to date I tried to blame the OS by booting a live version of Ubuntu copying files for hours.

Normally if a windows runs into driver problems it at least shows a BSOD and creates a memorydump. Windows 7 does not do that. The hardware was tested OK and the same copy actions under a Linux system caused no crashing. Which leads me to my conclusion, that Windows 7 has a fat ugly bug that is somehow bound to copy processes. And if you google windows 7 freeze you currently get 10.600.000 results. Which tells me, that I am not alone and there _exists_ a nasty freeze bug in Windows 7.

I like Windows 7 and it runs like charm and for hours if I don't copy stuff around... But I can't work with such an operating system - think video editing and making backups!

Anyone any idea on troubleshooting?

Last edited:
i gave up windows 7 because of a few BSODs...

i gave up windows 7 because of a few BSODs. I'm using xp sp2 , both at home and work.
BSODs occured randomly , some times I was just moving the mouse across the desktop , while the computer was idle , and bang...
It doesn't take much more then this on a perfectly new i7 system with 6 giga ram , to make me go back to xp , which although is using only 3 giga RAM , is perfectly stable...

Last edited:
i gave up windows 7 because of a few BSODs. I'm using xp sp2 , both at home and work.
BSODs occured randomly , some times I was just moving the mouse across the desktop , while the computer was idle , and bang...
It doesn't take much more then this on a perfectly new i7 system with 6 giga ram , to make me go back to xp , which although is using only 3 giga RAM , is perfectly stable...

Yeah, what a shame, that XP 64 bit is no option for the most, since the software and driver support for it are somewhat poor... seems as if I need to run a XP 32 bit parallel to Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes that freezing behaviour... and I have 8 Gig of RAM ;D

Today , my 3.5 years old PC has just started ALSO crushing in XP32-sp2 ! So it isn't windows7,s fault , is may venerable PC's fault. I must say that a few days ago I have set up windows 7 on 2 brand new corei7-920 systems ; On these 2 powerful systems windows7 has behaved without any single-insignificant blink , i mean it behaved 100% stable and 100% responsive and 100% perfectly OK ! It's my old PC (with Intel 965workhammer Mobo, 3.5 years old ) that first crashed using windows7 , so i reverted to xp; well , today xp has also started crushing my old pc ...
Have I made my self clear ?

Back