Windows 7 Windows 7 Recovery Disks

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

With Windows 7 released and currently making its way to shelves in time for the holiday season, we've taken this opportunity to upgrade our copy of the official Windows System Recovery Discs for compatibility with Windows 7.
If you're like most PC users, you probably got Windows 7 with a new PC or laptop. And if you're like 99% of the population, you get your new machines from one of the major manufacturers. Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo; who all have one thing in common: they don't give you a real Windows 7 installation disc with your purchase. Instead, they bundle what they call a "recovery disc" (that's if you're lucky - otherwise you'll have a recovery partition instead) with your machine and leave it at that.
It doesn't matter that you just paid a thousand dollars for a machine that comes with a valid Windows 7 license - your computer manufacturer just don't want to spend the money (or perhaps take on the responsibility) of giving you a Windows 7 installation DVD to accompany your expensive purchase.
The problem is, with Windows 7, the installation media serves more than one purpose. It's not just a way to get Windows installed, it's also the only way of recovering a borked installation. The Windows 7 DVD has a complete "recovery center" that provides you with the option of recovering your system via automated recovery (searches for problems and attempts to fix them automatically), rolling-back to a system restore point, recovering a full PC backup, or accessing a command-line recovery console for advanced recovery purposes.
Thankfully, Microsoft seems to have realized this problem, and have thankfully made a recovery disc for this purpose. It contains the contents of the Windows 7 DVD's "recovery center," as we've come to refer to it. It cannot be used to install or reinstall Windows 7, and just serves as a Windows PE interface to recovering your PC. Technically, one could re-create this installation media with freely-downloadable media from Microsoft (namely the Microsoft WAIK kit, a multi-gigabyte download); but it's damn-decent of Microsoft to make this available to Windows' users who might not be capable of creating such a thing on their own. You can make your own copy from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, but now you have an easier alternative.
NeoSmart Technologies is hosting a copy of the Windows 7 Recovery Disc for your convenience. It's a 143 MiB download (165 MiB for the 64-bit version), and in the standard ISO format, ready to burned directly to a CD or DVD. Don't wait until your PC crashes to download a copy! Download and burn your recovery disc today, so that when the time comes, you'll be ready!
What it does: The Windows 7 Recovery Disc can be used to access a system recovery menu, giving you options of using System Restore, Complete PC Backup, automated system repair, and a command-line prompt for manual advanced recovery.
What it doesn't do: You cannot use the Windows 7 Recovery Disc to re-install Windows - it only fixes (not replaces!) Windows.

This is great if your PC is already crashed and you're using another, but otherwise you can do this from within Windows.
Type "Create a system repair disk" into the start menu search field

That may not work as that is a Windows Function. And OEM as stated by Whoosh is completely different.

His information is valid..... as stated...

Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo; who all have one thing in common: they don't give you a real Windows 7 installation disc with your purchase. Instead, they bundle what they call a "recovery disc" (that's if you're lucky - otherwise you'll have a recovery partition instead) with your machine and leave it at that.
It doesn't matter that you just paid a thousand dollars for a machine that comes with a valid Windows 7 license - your computer manufacturer just don't want to spend the money (or perhaps take on the responsibility) of giving you a Windows 7 installation DVD to accompany your expensive purchase.
It is also very important to know, because, I have had plenty of PC's come my way where the HDD failed and creating these recovery disks were not possible. And the owner had not previously made them. The only solution then is to purchase the disks (if available from the OEM) and they can cost between 20$ to 40$ from some OEM's to replace. Don't quote me on this but I think either Toshiba or Sony were the most expensive.

Also, the reason you have to purchase them from the OEM is that the License Key may not work with other OEM disks, such as a System Builder OEM disk may not accept the License key from an HP or Sony system.

Last edited:
:O I forgot about the OEM part.
I went to buy Toshiba Recovery Disks once.. I only needed one of the two and it cost me $99+tax!

Honestly, they ripped you off,, cause they should not have been that high.
Recovery disks are just media, They apparently charged you for the OS.
I'm not sure of course, but that is extremely high.

I know they ripped me off, but it was for a customer so I went above and beyond as usual.
It was a factory reset disk. (OS, Default bloatware)

The bloatware is the worse thing. They should be required to furnish you a clean disk or image instead of one with all of the preinstalled crap.
Joe

Agreed.
Everytime I buy a new PC the first thing i do is reformat Windows 7.
I'm always blown away with the performance difference.

Back