Windows 7 Windows 7 reports Kaspersky Problem but I do not have it installed on my PC - any insight?

onecooltech

I have Windows 7 64 bit and the Action Center reports Kaspersky Problems, but I do not have it installed on my PC (see below) - why would this be and should i do anything about it? --- any insight?

*** Just did a full Virus scan and no virus found
*** Using MS Security Essentials = ON
*** MS Windows defender = OFF
[h=2]Address a problem with Kaspersky Internet Security or Anti-Virus[/h]Kaspersky Internet Security or Anti-Virus has stopped working properly.
A newer version of Kaspersky Internet Security or Anti-Virus is available for download that might solve this problem. Kaspersky Lab recommends updating to the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security or Anti-Virus to take advantage of security and stability

Did you ever have it installed? There have been situations where some component of an anti-virus was not uninstalled completely and would give warnings. There were some of these when folks ran a Windows 7 compatibility checker.

If you did have it installed at some time in the past, you might check MSconfig.exe to see if anything is trying to start related to it. You might also check the Kaspersky site to see if they have a special uninstaller.

If you never had it installed and did a clean Windows 7 install, that is a little strange. The system must be picking up something it thinks is related. Does the Action Center message give any details, or do you see anything related to it in the Event Viewer?

That is the thing, I have not installed it at all, the pc was a clean install from the factory (not saying much lol) and I removed most of the crapware when I purchased the pc. I do not remember removing anything from Kaspersky but when I get a chance i will check the history and msconfig, then I will repost. thanks in advanced for the insight.

I have already used malwarebytes and nothing was found. I will run it again to make sure and once I am able, I will repost the results. Thank you for the help

It may be that your computer came pre-installed with it, or that the installation disk you used contained it --- they're sometimes very clever with disguising attached programs... one more factor that makes me dislike big companies.

1. If Windows doesn't show anything to uninstall, you could try Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems, it might find some remains of something.
2. A registry clean / fix might do it. I've used Free Window Registry Repair: a windows registry repair freeware. for many years, no problems. BUT DO REMEMBER TO GO TO OPTIONS AND HAVE IT MAKE A RECOVERY POINT.

Otherwise, I would agree with MikeHawthorne. It may be a Nuisance Program - in case I use the right term. Someone's playing with you.

Please let us know, and let's hope you get it running properly. :)

I went through all again ... Not on the uninstall list, nothing under msconfig, Malware Bytes did not find anything (see below for the latest report), Virus scan did not find anything. The pc came with Norton installed as the antivirus (removed the 1st day I got it). I am thinking it may be another app that may have some coding that mimics Kaspersky or may have some parts of it incorporated in it and this is why the Action center has picked up on it ... don't know, still investigating. Thank you for the input and if there are any others or any thing else, I am always open to suggestions.

5/24/2012 8:34:33 PM
mbam-log-2012-05-24 (20-34-33).txt

Scan type: Full scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM | P2P
Scan options disabled:
Objects scanned: 407798
Time elapsed: 55 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0