Windows 7 Windows 7 rights and permissions for music libraries

PlasmaShock

I have two partitions on my harddrive, one for the OS files and programs(labelled C), and the other for media and audio files(labelled F). Since I have multiple users, I made a folder for each user on the F drive to store the audio files. How can I make it so only each user can modify/add/delete their own files in their own folder on the F drive, but still be able to play files from another user? I tried giving each owner of the folder Full Control and the other users "read only or execute" but the other users are still able to add, write, and modify files.

First of all you don't say if these "users" will be accessing the music folders across the network or logging on locally.
In either case if the users involved are members of the local "Administrators" group this will likely be all but impossible to accomplish.
In any case, you will likely need to proceed with a bit of caution other wise you'll likely find yourself having to go back and take ownership of everything and re-do permissions.
First you will almost certainly need to break inheritance from the parent "Music" folder on each of the respective individual users "Music" folder.
Right click the individual folder and choose properties and then select the Security tab.
Click the Advanced button and
then the Change Permissions button
Uncheck the box near the bottom that says Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent folder
And when prompted (and this is where you need to be careful, so you may want to create a test folder with one song to practice) click the remove button.
Now click the Add button and the first thing you want to do is add the "Administrators" group (not administrator user) back with full permissions. So....
As I said click the Add button, then the Advanced Button, then the Find Now Button
and select Administrators (not Administrator) and click OK
and OK again
Select the Full Control from the Allow column
And click OK
Now continue adding other users (not groups) explicitly with the desired permissions
Folders = Tom, Dick and Harry
Users = Tom, Dick and Harry
Tom's folder, Tom gets full control, Dick and Harry get Special Permission (Traverse folder / execute file, and Read)
That should pretty much do it. If Dick and Harry have problems playing music in Tom's folder, go back and add Read attributes and Read extended attributes.
One note to remember if this access is going to involve a network then Share permissions have to be considered and when Share permissions are combined with NTFS permissions the most restrictive permissions apply so generally speaking if you are sharing these folders for network access then under the Sharing tab just add the Everyone Group and give them full access and let the individual NTFS security permissions do the restrictions otherwise you'll likely get very confused in sorting out who belongs to what groups and what the group or individuals effective permissions are regarding a particular file or folder.
You can read this if you want which may do a better job of explaining than I have.
Link Removed - Invalid URL old but still accurate for the most part.

Back