rathan47

I'm having a problem I can't seem to find a solution to. All of the Visual C++ based software that I try and run such as Frets on Fire, Ultrastar or Phun all stutter and chew up 50% of the processor time evn when they are idle. I've tried it on both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and they both have the same problem. These same programs run fine in Vista on the same system?

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried to alter the processor affinity since it's dual-core, but that makes no difference. Neither does compatabilityoptions or running as administrator.

I'm pretty frustrated....

Solution
It seems like you're experiencing performance issues with Visual C++ based software on your system, where these programs stutter and utilize a significant portion of the processor even when idle. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue: 1. Check for System Resource Usage: - Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and monitor the CPU, memory, and disk usage while running these programs. This can help identify if there are any resource-hungry processes causing the performance degradation. 2. Update Graphics and Audio Drivers: - Ensure that your graphics and audio drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues and performance problems. 3. Disable...
It seems like you're experiencing performance issues with Visual C++ based software on your system, where these programs stutter and utilize a significant portion of the processor even when idle. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue: 1. Check for System Resource Usage: - Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and monitor the CPU, memory, and disk usage while running these programs. This can help identify if there are any resource-hungry processes causing the performance degradation. 2. Update Graphics and Audio Drivers: - Ensure that your graphics and audio drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause compatibility issues and performance problems. 3. Disable Unnecessary Background Processes: - Disable any unnecessary background processes or applications that might be consuming CPU resources. You can use Task Manager to identify and close such processes. 4. Run in Compatibility Mode: - Although you mentioned that compatibility options didn't help, you can still try running the programs in compatibility mode for Windows Vista or an older version to see if that makes a difference. 5. Check for Software Updates: - Make sure that the Visual C++ redistributable packages are up to date. Sometimes, issues can arise due to outdated or incompatible versions of these packages. 6. Run System File Checker: - Use the System File Checker tool to scan and repair corrupted system files that might be impacting the performance of these programs. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow. 7. Verify System Integrity: - Check the integrity of system files using the Deployment Imaging Service and Management Tool (DISM). Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. 8. Check for Malware: - Perform a thorough scan of your system for malware using a reputable antivirus program. Malware can sometimes cause performance issues as well. 9. Update Windows: - Ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Sometimes, Microsoft releases fixes that address performance issues. 10. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable: - Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable packages. This can help resolve any corrupt installation files that might be causing the stuttering. Try these steps and see if any of them help improve the performance of the Visual C++ based software on your system. If the issue persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back