Windows 7 windows 7 screen flicker help!

DPounds

I have Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600 installed. Every once in a while my screen flickers. My monitor actually loses the signal just for a brief second. and then everything gets back to normal.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Have you made sure the connections are both ends are secure.

The next thing we need to look at is your video card.

Could you give us the exact make and model of the card?

This may help.........Go to Start, Run, and type msinfo32.

Expand the Components section and look under Display entry.

Post back with that info.

Have you made sure the connections are both ends are secure.

The next thing we need to look at is your video card.

Could you give us the exact make and model of the card?

This may help.........Go to Start, Run, and type msinfo32.

Expand the Components section and look under Display entry.

Post back with that info.

Name NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07E1&SUBSYS_2A64103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&1&80
Adapter Type GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2um
Driver Version 8.15.11.8593
INF File nv_lh.inf (nv4_C7x section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1400 x 1050 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xED000000-0xEDFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xEE000000-0xEEFFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 22
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.15.11.8593, 11.04 MB (11,572,512 bytes), 7/13/2009 2:59 PM)

I have also made sure that the rivers are up to date. and all connections are good

Last edited:
I would suggest you download Nvidia's official driver her:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 191.07 WHQL

Uninstall the previous driver from Programs & Features if they exist there.

If not, go to Device manager, right-ckick on the video card adapter and choose uninstall.

Now run setup from the files you have downloaded.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600 installed. Every once in a while my screen flickers. My monitor actually loses the signal just for a brief second. and then everything gets back to normal.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

How old is your monitor? Also what type is it..CRT or LCD?

Have you tried increasing the refresh rate?

If not, go to Device manager, right-ckick on the video card adapter and choose uninstall.

OK, I've installed the new drivers and still get my screen flashing periodically.

I've actually Googled this and it seems that I'm not the only one having this problem. there is a fix out there where I go into the registry and delete some registry entries. But when I try this, my registry already does not have those entries

Last edited:
It is LCD. my monitor doesn't support changing the refresh rate

Hmm...Are you definitely sure about that?

Checkout my screenshot (my monitor is LCD) and see if you have something similar (You too Reghakr as you can then see one of those custom start buttons I mentioned)
If possible, raise the refresh rate as this stops monitor flicker...

Apologies,, if you've already been down this road but it just seemed a little weird when you said your monitor didn't support changing the refresh rate..
If it's not the refresh rate and you've done a clean driver install, then we may have to start looking at other possible causes... Like could it be the monitor itself?

Last edited:
Hmm...Are you definitely sure about that?

Checkout my screenshot (my monitor is LCD) and see if you have something similar (You too Reghakr as you can then see one of those custom start buttons I mentioned)
If possible, raise the refresh rate as this stops monitor flicker...

Apologies,, if you've already been down this road but it just seemed a little weird when you said your monitor didn't support changing the refresh rate..
If it's not the refresh rate and you've done a clean driver install, then we may have to start looking at other possible causes... Like could it be the monitor itself?

I am sure that I can't change the refresh rate. I'm stuck at 60 Hertz...

I'm also positive that its a windows 7 glitch. only because I am running dual OS's (Vista as well) and it only happens when I'm on Windows 7

Do you have another computer to check it out or a friend nearby where you could check the monitor.

I highly doubt it's a Windows bug.

Where did you download the drivers for your video card?

I am sure that I can't change the refresh rate. I'm stuck at 60 Hertz...

I'm also positive that its a windows 7 glitch. only because I am running dual OS's (Vista as well) and it only happens when I'm on Windows 7

Have you tried running in safe mode and seeing if the flickering continues? If it does then your likely looking at a hardware issue, if it doesn't then it's a driver problem..

I looked at your screen shot again and noticed you had Generic PNP and the ATI card listed as well.

Is this normal. I have an Nvidia card, so I'm not sire.

When you go to Device Manager, do two adapters show up?

Only the ATI card shows up.. The generic pnp just means it's a normal everyday 'plug and play' monitor.. If you call up the same place in the control panel you should have a similar page.. (although you'll have an nvidia card showing along the top obviously)

I do have a run of the mill monitor even though it's an LCD so that's probably why it shows it the way it does... It thinks it's looking at a CRT monitor (as it's an analogue connection ,no DVI) My original monitor had broken and I just got this cheapie until better times..

Back