Windows 7 Windows 7 Security

I highly recommend listening to this podcast; it's lengthy so you might wanna listen during a drive or while your working. This particular episode covers in-depth about Windows 7 security: The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

Great Post :D Thanks very good Steve Gibson Rocks :)

Wow ! A must listen . This is a great post thanks very much would recommend this post to any one .
Vahnx best post on windows 7 forum :)

File extensions

I did a post on the forum some time back about file extensions . The problems they can cause if hidden . The fact that Steve Gibson also mentions that is comforting as i got a mixed reception when I mentioned that :rolleyes:

The most likely reason for disabling extensions by default is most likely to avoid confusion in a way, and also in a UI stance, makes a file kinda look "dirty". I wouldn't want all my MP3s or Images w/ thumbnails having the extension afterward. A solution would be for Microsoft to add some detection system to tell weather or not a file has an incorrect extension, and notify the user when they go to run it. Problem solved! It can keep the cleanliness and be secure!

EDIT: I would like to add, another reason why they probably hide the extensions by default is because if suddenly a novice user upgrades from Vista and sees all their files have this weird .txt or .mp3 extension, they'd think they have a virus and call Microsoft and flip out.

The most likely reason for disabling extensions by default is most likely to avoid confusion in a way, and also in a UI stance, makes a file kinda look "dirty". I wouldn't want all my MP3s or Images w/ thumbnails having the extension afterward. A solution would be for Microsoft to add some detection system to tell weather or not a file has an incorrect extension, and notify the user when they go to run it. Problem solved! It can keep the cleanliness and be secure!

Good idea that :D

Back
Top Bottom