Windows 7 Security

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by vahnx, May 21, 2009.

1. vahnx

vahnx New Member

I highly recommend listening to this podcast; it's lengthy so you might wanna listen during a drive or while your working. This particular episode covers in-depth about Windows 7 security: The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

2. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Great Post :D Thanks very good Steve Gibson Rocks :)

Wow ! A must listen . This is a great post thanks very much would recommend this post to any one .
    Vahnx best post on windows 7 forum :)

3. Radenight

Radenight New Member

Thanks! This was definitely worth listening to.. :)

4. vahnx

vahnx New Member

Sweet, thanks. I love many of the TWiT podcasts. There is also one dedicated to Windows entitled: Windows Weekly. You can also watch Leo live on TWiT Live. Without Leo/TechTV I would no nothing about computers at all, so he deserves much credit.

5. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Thanks again all good stuff :D

6. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

File extensions

I did a post on the forum some time back about file extensions . The problems they can cause if hidden . The fact that Steve Gibson also mentions that is comforting as i got a mixed reception when I mentioned that :rolleyes:

7. vahnx

vahnx New Member

The most likely reason for disabling extensions by default is most likely to avoid confusion in a way, and also in a UI stance, makes a file kinda look "dirty". I wouldn't want all my MP3s or Images w/ thumbnails having the extension afterward. A solution would be for Microsoft to add some detection system to tell weather or not a file has an incorrect extension, and notify the user when they go to run it. Problem solved! It can keep the cleanliness and be secure!

EDIT: I would like to add, another reason why they probably hide the extensions by default is because if suddenly a novice user upgrades from Vista and sees all their files have this weird .txt or .mp3 extension, they'd think they have a virus and call Microsoft and flip out.

8. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Good idea that :D