Windows 7 Windows 7 Taking too Long to Boot

VAB

I am running Windows 7 on a 64-Bit Laptop; I previously had Vista 64-Bit running and it was booting fine. I have upgraded to Windows 7, but the laptop is taking about 5 min to boot to my desktop. What could be the problem? :( I know it can boot faster, Please help!!!

upgrade is a bad idea

do a clean install of 7 all provided your hardware is decent enough. Make sure you have all disk/chipset drivers installed for 7

upgrade is a bad idea

do a clean install of 7 all provided your hardware is decent enough. Make sure you have all disk/chipset drivers installed for 7

Agreed. We have had a number of posts like yours and the answer is always a clean install.

Is it at any particular stage of the boot that it is being delayed? After the welcome screen, for example.

Just before the Log on screen, where each user can select his log on account.

I am trying desperately hard not to be forced to format, I am sure there is some other option. I tried trouble shooting: disk cleanup, defrag, checking for spyware and malware etc. but all to no avail.

It's a bummer I know but a clean install is the only way to go I'm afraid...

Are you using the normal dpi setting?

Just before the Log on screen, where each user can select his log on account.

I am trying desperately hard not to be forced to format, I am sure there is some other option. I tried trouble shooting: disk cleanup, defrag, checking for spyware and malware etc. but all to no avail.

Last edited:
Thanx to everyone who tired to help me with my problem :)

Onn a different note, the laptop has finally "kicked the bucket" it just does not boot...i believe (after troubelshooting the problem) that it is dead. :(

I am now without a computer, and am sourcing one, this very minute.

Thank You All for your time!!!!

Hello,

Reboot the System in Selective Startup Run Selective Startup using System Configuration also Follow this article Optimize Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

Good Luck,
Captain

Hi Captain Jack

Thanks for your help, but I think the laptop is dead...it is not coming on. it has power, showing lights, but nothing on the screen...it is not the display, had that checked already...that is good.

I thought it was the AC power adapter, because the battery led was showing as needing charging and no matter how long it was plugged in it was still showing as needing to be charged. But after about two days the light went off, showing it was fully charged. I tried all the troubleshooting procedures i knew, then i took it to a computer repair place and they said it was the motherboard. :(

thanks again for your help...I mean if you can get it working for me that would be great...if you can tell me its not my motherboard...i would be more thatn happy and grateful to you...because i really need my laptop...it cost me so much money and it is only 14 months I purchased it. :(

But i think it is dead

What do you get if you remove the battery and run on main power? I have had this problem more than once, mostly prevalent to Acers. The battery in Acers, if dead, kills most of the main power, and leaves insufficient to run the motherboard..

What do you get if you remove the battery and run on main power? I have had this problem more than once, mostly prevalent to Acers. The battery in Acers, if dead, kills most of the main power, and leaves insufficient to run the motherboard..

OK Folks, I am officially confused!!!!

The computer that was not coming on at all and that was diagnosed (by a computer repair store) as dead, has revived, and have been booting every time I turn it on, for the last five (5) days.

RAK, prior to the above mentioned happening, I had tried your suggestion (before it was diagnosed), but it still did not come on. The LED was still saying that the battery needed charging and nothing was coming on, on the screen.

Now i am at a lost as to what really happened to my laptop (don't get me wrong, I am happy it is working, but I am cautious as to how long it will work).

Windows is still taking long to boot, so I now have two problems, that I need solved. 1. my initial problem and 2. why did the computer stop working and now it has started back to work, just as if nothing was wrong?.

I am sure there is someone out there who can help me.

refusing to do anything could be a hardware fault possibly ram thats' shifted out of the slots a little ?

as far as anything else is concerned format your drive and start again if you want to avoid software gremlins that are almost impossible to debug ;)

A wild shot in the dark! Do you have a fingerprint reader on your laptop? If so disable it. It appears to be a common reason for delays before the logon stage.

As well as the above suggestions I'd also go to the manufacturers website and just make sure you have all the updates for your machine such as Bios, firmware and the like..

Back