Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit?

DanielG

Hi guys,

I'm currently studying New Media and Communication Technology. I need to get Windows 7 Ultimate. Now my laptop when I bought it, had Vista Home Premium 32 bit. So my question to you is, do I upgrade to 32 bit or 64 bit? I work with alot of Adobe programs(Photoshop, Dreamweaver,...). I also do alot of multitasking. So I do need my computer to be fast. Under here you can see the specifications of my laptop. Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M

- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz
- Intel PM45
- 4096 MB, 2x 2048 DDR2 PC2-6400 Samsung (can be upgraded to 8 GB)
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 - 256 MB, Core: 680 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz, GDDR3

So I am even able to upgrade to 64 bit and would it be a good idea if I did?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

I've heard people having programs with Photoshop and CS4.
it, you should upgrade your RAM to at least 6GB

You need to up your RAM to at least 6GB

If you perform a "clean" install, which is the best route to take, you;ll need to backup and your Document, videos, music, contacts, Pictures, etc to a flash drive.

Be aware, you will need to re-unstack all your 3rd party applications.

Yeah but I was planning on doing a full install anyways. Also third party applications I don't need either so in that aspect I'm fine. I've also already backed everything up.

Daniel

I've no problems running W7 X64 with Adobe CS4. I run both X32 and X64 versions of CS4 with no issues. The X32 allows me to use some of the plug-ins that don't function in 64bit.

yeah, the x64 is the way i would go. i also have cs4, and use win 7 ult x64. the 64 bit os allows you to use more ram, and is much, much better for multitasking. actually, i also keep a 32 bit version of vista, as a dual boot. that way if there is ever a program that i need that doesn't funcx well in a 64 bit environment, i can use it on the other os. dual booting is a nice convenience.

For the amount of the RAM you have and can have, I'd say go for it! 64-bit Windows 7 works VERY well and is extremely compatible.. ;) When you get right down to it though, it really depends on what you'll be doing with the PC... From the brief description you gave, I'd still say you won't regret using the 64-bit version.. My advice would be to download all drivers you will need prior to the installation. That way, if a driver isn't installed during the Windows 7 installation, you'll have them on hand anyway, which of course will make life easier.. ;)

Back