Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) Install fails at completing installation.

DarkR

So I have searched around and none of the solutions worked, but let me get to the basics:

DFI LanPark DK 790 FX Motherboard
3.2 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64 bit processor
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS Video card with 720 MB Ram

Hard drives:

Western Digital Raptor @ 70 GB (going to be used as the OS drive)
Western Digital Caviar @ 80 GB

Maxtor 120 GB IDE drive (the other 2 are both SATA drives)

Sony DVD R/RW Drive
using onboard audio

Okay so I am running a fresh, clean install (the only "information" is on the IDE drive, and that's my backup for iTunes and Steam) using the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD. The DVD kept hanging @ "completing installation", so I took it to my laptop, and using the instructions on here, made a bootable flash drive. I just tried completing installation from the bootable flash, and it still hangs at that step.

When it hangs, it's in a locked up state.. I can't even press Shift + F10 (nothing happens). Also, the CD correctly makes the "System Allocated" section on the drive. Also, i removed all USB drives, and am running both a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

not much more to say.. if you need anything let me know! Hopefully this gets resolved as I removed XP and have no OS on here =(

Thanks a lot everyone!!!!!!!

Just to give an update, I am attempting it right now with my Ethernet cord unplugged, and all hard drives disconnected (minus the Raptor)

I'll let you know what happens.

edit:

it seemed to get farther.. the "updating registry" actually showed a windows logo, and it took a bit longer on the "finalizing".. but this time it went to a blank screen with just a _ cursor at the top left corner, and nothing to type in or anything... so I had to restart but it failed..

Last edited:
win 7 install

couple of things to try
1) check your drives make sure there clean
2) try installing with internet disconnected

couple of things to try
1) check your drives make sure there clean
2) try installing with internet disconnected

Ethernet cord is not connected to the back of the PC, all but 1 drive is disconnected (the WD Raptor drive is connected), and it's been reformatted.

EDIT:

don't know if this does any good, but also I installed W7 RC on a friends computer a while back (with the same hardware as mine other then he only has a 2.4 GHz AMD processor and is using a WD Caviar 300 GB hard drive) and it worked flawlessly with no problems whatsoever..

Last edited:
Ethernet cord is not connected to the back of the PC, all but 1 drive is disconnected (the WD Raptor drive is connected), and it's been reformatted.

EDIT:

don't know if this does any good, but also I installed W7 RC on a friends computer a while back (with the same hardware as mine other then he only has a 2.4 GHz AMD processor and is using a WD Caviar 300 GB hard drive) and it worked flawlessly with no problems whatsoever..
hi
i have just had the same prob with mine tryin to install win 7 ult x64 on my lappy... failed with ablue screen a few times.
so i turned it off for 1hour tryed it again and it worked fine

it did feel a bit warm under the laptop so i guess its down to that

hi
i have just had the same prob with mine tryin to install win 7 ult x64 on my lappy... failed with ablue screen a few times.
so i turned it off for 1hour tryed it again and it worked fine

it did feel a bit warm under the laptop so i guess its down to that

that's an interesting though, though I'm running it through my desktop. And it's running quite cool now.

Another thing i just tried was using a different video card, and using only 2 GB ram. Still the same problem...

same here ive installed win 7 on laptops desktops and the x64 is the only ones i have problems with maybe x64 has not got the same drivers as the x32 one of the errors on the x64 was the hard drive was not reconized

same here ive installed win 7 on laptops desktops and the x64 is the only ones i have problems with maybe x64 has not got the same drivers as the x32 one of the errors on the x64 was the hard drive was not reconized

My issue is I have the 64 bit edition and not the 32 bit... and I love how the 64 bit is...

Do you think I could torrent the 32 bit to install it with the trial, and then use it to "upgrade" to the 64 bit?

My issue is I have the 64 bit edition and not the 32 bit... and I love how the 64 bit is...

Do you think I could torrent the 32 bit to install it with the trial, and then use it to "upgrade" to the 64 bit?

just another update.

I tried an older video card that was also vista ready, and the installer still froze around the same spot. I am trying the 32-bit version to see if I can get the 64 bit version to "upgrade" from it..

Okay so that failed as well... :(

Last edited:
ram???

the 64 bit does require more ram than the 32 bit 1gb for the 32 bit & 2gb for the 64 bit... so maybe its something to do with the ram or maybe it doesnt like your hardware or theres a virus on the drive which lies dormant ????

the 64 bit does require more ram than the 32 bit 1gb for the 32 bit & 2gb for the 64 bit... so maybe its something to do with the ram or maybe it doesnt like your hardware or theres a virus on the drive which lies dormant ????

1. I am running 4 GB RAM
2. hard drive has been wiped clean. only using 1 hard drive at the moment (others are disconected)
3. All hardware should be windows 7 ready. A friend of mine with similar specs is running the RC just fine.

email

pm me ur email and i will post you a few books for windows 7
1 windows 7 bible
2 Windows 7 Step By Step
3 Easy Microsoft Windows 7

good books if u want them pal

pm me ur email and i will post you a few books for windows 7
1 windows 7 bible
2 Windows 7 Step By Step
3 Easy Microsoft Windows 7

good books if u want them pal

Any reason I'd need these books? I have used the Beta and RC builds with no problems.. it's the retail version that is not working ><

Back