Windows 7 windows 7 ultimate share disappears?

aylward

I had the pleasure of setting up a small network workgroup with 4 windows 7 ultimate pc's and 3 xp professional pc's. 1 of the windows 7 pc's became the server and successfully shares folders to the other windows 7 pc's 24/7. The shares were created with the homegroup option. I used advanced sharing to create the share that would be accessed by the xp clients. All pc's are in the same workgroup. The xp client is using the same user/password as the windows 7 pc. The share works but after some time; the share becomes inaccessible. IF I reboot the windows 7 server; the share becomes available; only to disappear some time at the computers choosing. I've pulled my hair out, far to long over this. Any idea's put there?

I had the pleasure of setting up a small network workgroup with 4 windows 7 ultimate pc's and 3 xp professional pc's. 1 of the windows 7 pc's became the server and successfully shares folders to the other windows 7 pc's 24/7. The shares were created with the homegroup option. I used advanced sharing to create the share that would be accessed by the xp clients. All pc's are in the same workgroup. The xp client is using the same user/password as the windows 7 pc. The share works but after some time; the share becomes inaccessible. IF I reboot the windows 7 server; the share becomes available; only to disappear some time at the computers choosing. I've pulled my hair out, far to long over this. Any idea's put there?
I can't really tell by your explanation if the share becomes universally unavailable or just unavailable to certain clients, like the xp machine. I would first check all the advanced power settings on the Win7/Server machine, especially in device manager, network adapter, right click, choose properties,power management tab, uncheck allow turn off to save blah blah. See if that helps.

not powersaving

The machine in question; continues to share happilly to other windows 7 clients when this is happening. Xp clients complain; windows 7 clients don't even know there is a problem. I'm a system's administrator (mainly server2003 domain configs) and I completley understand how to share\set permisiions\security. Like I said; the share worksand then after some time; the client is told that the resource can't be accessed (even if I try diff credentials)

Same problem for me

Hello, I have exactly the same problem, did you resolve it ? On my side, I never use homegroup even between win7 machines, only advanced sharing... After a couple of hours, only XP lost the share with Win7.

The only thing I found, it's the use of the command NET SESSION \\xp_computer_name /Delete on the Windows 7 computer that resolve the problem, or simply by rebooting Windows 7.

bad windows 7 shares

yes...I did figure it out. Found this on another forum.

"I finally found a reference that looked like the answer. The shares on my win 7 box kept becoming unavailable from XP boxes, and I was generating zillions of error 2017s in the System log of the windows 7 machine.

On my windows 7 machine I used regedit to increase the size of a parameter:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

the parameter was Size - and value was set at 1 . I changed the value to 3 .

Since this change, I have had no incidences of error 2017, and have had no problems accessing shares on my win 7 box from xp clients."

Thank you all!

I can confirm that the registry tweak solved the problem for us as well. We recently added two Win7 machines to a business network with 5 XP machines. One of the Win7 machines was to be the location where production files were stored and shared. We were successful initially, but then after a short while, the share on the Win7 server would refuse access from all the XP machines. Happened to all of them at once. The two Win7 machines could still see and access each other. They could also access shared folders on the XP machines. But the XP machines would all return:

"\\Alpha\Users\Public\$jobs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

Since we've altered the LanManServer value, we've had no further instances.

Also confirmed by inspection that our System log had numerous instances of error 2017s and since the tweak has had none.

This fix needs to be widely publicized.

Back
Top Bottom