Windows 7 Windows 7 Upgrade from XP proceedure

luckylindy88

I am getting ready to install Windows 7 on my XP computor. Have checked and my computor is suitable. My present computor has 2 Harddrives, each harddrive has some partitions.
Will a Windows 7 update effect files on the harddrive without the operating system?
Re the partitioned hardrive with the operating system will the non operating system partitions be erased or effected during the Windows 7 installation?
I do intend to revise partition sizes on the harddrive with the operating sytem at some point am I better to do this now before the Windows 7 Installation?

Hi LuckyLinda88,

I am afraid your luck has run out ;-) You cannot upgrade XP to Win7, however there are some tools on the MS website that will allow you to do an install while preserving your documents, desktop etc... I learnt this at an MS conference last year, but thats as far as I have gone with it. Maybe someone else here might have some more info on it.

Basher

If I was you (following on from Bashers advice) I'd disconnect the non-operational HDD until I'd installed Windows 7.
I'd sort out my partition sizes on the operational HDD while I was still running XP, theory being it's the system I know inside out. I'd move everything I wanted to keep off the C:\(?) partition. Then I'd do a clean install on the C:\(?) partition.

Hi Elmer,

Yes like you I have separate partitions for work, docs, music etc. Makes life so much easier :)

Basher

Hi Basher ,

Yes, having partitions for your hard drive makes life easier. Here's my suggestion, have 2 partitions, the 1st partition is for System Files, and 2nd partition is for your Files, you should separate it with different folders such as Documents, Files, Programs, Installers, etc.

Silent 16

I am getting ready to install Windows 7 on my XP computor. Have checked and my computor is suitable. My present computor has 2 Harddrives, each harddrive has some partitions.
Will a Windows 7 update effect files on the harddrive without the operating system?
Re the partitioned hardrive with the operating system will the non operating system partitions be erased or effected during the Windows 7 installation?
I do intend to revise partition sizes on the harddrive with the operating sytem at some point am I better to do this now before the Windows 7 Installation?

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Back
Top Bottom