Windows 7 Windows 7 (with new MSI motherboard) won’t recognize any external drives!

jzakary

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I recently installed a new MSI motherboard to my computer, and a new power source. Everything worked perfectly until I started noticing that the 4 external USB hard drives (On-Board Powered) where not being recognized by windows 7 after reboot, and awaking from sleep. When I power off/on or disconnect/reconnect the individual drives are then instantly recognized by windows 7. These external drives where working perfectly before the motherboard/power supply switch.

The following are a list of FAILED attempts to resolve this situation:

• Thinking that maybe 4 external hard drives was causing the problem I decided to consolidate two of the hard drives into one.

• MSI motherboard BIOS had automatically added the external drives as part of the Boot Sequence. I disabled that option, but it didn’t change anything.

• I connected one of the external USB hard drives over to ESATA. It initially recognizes it, but eventually disappears the same way as the other external drives do.

• Since my computer/hard drives and my home theater system is connected to the same surge power strip, I thought there could be a power load issue, so I connected all the external hard drives to another power outlet.

• Reformatted the C:\ drive and did a clean install of Windows 7. The 3 external drives where recognized after install, but when I rebooted the computer only two of the three external drives came up. Just like before I turned the external drive off and on then windows made the sound that a device was connecting and the drive appeared on the My Computer box.

I’m really out of ideas on this everybody, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you soo much!!

Josh

MY COMPUTER SPECS!!!!

System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model MS-7596
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.9, 12/24/2010
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics Card: ATI HD Radeon HD4600

Back
Top Bottom