Windows 7 Windows 7 won't start

Adamdp

I have an ASUS X58L with Windows 7 Professional, a downloaded student copy.

The issue originates from me installing Ubuntu and on installing updates and restarting I found myself with "grub rescue no such device". After attempting several 'solutions' from pages such as these: Google I am now in the current position.

I currently have the hard drive in this Dynamode USB 2.0 SATA 2.5 inch External Hard Disk Caddie: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories as I have had it plugged into an old computer to copy my personal files.

If I start with the hard drive plugged in (with or without the Recovery disk in) it goes to a black error screen:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
etc.

File: \boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

If I start without the hard drive plugged in the Recovery disk loads as it should, but it naturally cant find any Windows installations.

If I plug the hard drive in whilst starting up it attempts to find Windows installations then comes up with

"The following startup option will be repaired:
Name: {bootmgr}
Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:
Name: Windows 7 Professional (recovered)
Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition =E: (76308MB)

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)
Path: Recovery\numbers and letters\Winre.wim
Windows Device: Partition =E: (76308MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration will be saved as: E:\Boot\BCD.backup.0002"

However when I click "repair and restart" it comes up with "Failed to save startup options." and doesn't do anything.

Did you install Win 7 on an internal drive or the external drive. If external, there are some posts that suggest that will not work, but more information about your install might help.

Did you install Win 7 on an internal drive or the external drive. If external, there are some posts that suggest that will not work, but more information about your install might help.

The laptop was originally installed with Windows Vista, I then bought, downloaded and installed Windows 7. This was all done on the internal hard drive. The internal hard drive is now in the "Hard Disk Caddie" and plugged into another computer.

I have also found the Windows 7 download on the hard drive.

Back