Windows 10 Windows 8.1/10 sleep problem

When the computer wont sleep, open an elevated command prompt and type the following and post the results
powercfg /requests if you have any that do not say None. Then that is what is preventing sleep.

Code:
powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (RasMan)
Active RAS connection
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

This means HDD is the problem?

EDIT: SORRY, MY FAULT, I'm actually running SEATOOLS, and most probably that's the reason it shows that...

rasman is for remote access and the legacy kernel caller is probably some misbehaving device and could be part of anything you may need to disable a device and reboot to see if goes away. I would look toward really old or more uncommon devices such as TV tuners or other media type devices.

I think I have been a little unclear, so this is EXACTLY what I did with the laptop, also I forgot to mention it has an etiquette on which is written OS: FREE DOS, so there was no scam

- Bought pc with FREE DOS
- Installed Linux Mint 17(I didn't have a windows media at that time)
- Installed Linux Ubuntu
- Installed Windows 8.1
Sleep working fine on all of these...
- Install Windows Insider Preview 10 ==== HERE SLEEP STOPPED WORKING
I noticed sleep wouldn't work, and I thought its OS's fault since it was just a BETA version
- Installed AGAIN windows 8.1 BUT sleep STILL NOT WORKING(I thought Microsoft saved my WIN 10 settings to their cloud server and used them as I installed W8.1, and that was the problem)
- Installed windows 8.1 WITHOUT entering account details
- Installed windows 10 ----- Here I am now still trying to find a solution

NOTE: All installs are clean and wiped HDD completely every time

Also:
Memtest86 - No errors
SEATOOLS - S.M.A.R.T test(no errors) - short fix all(no errors) - long fix(I'm running it right now, and seems to take decades)
Speccy - Piriform - says everything is good, all HDD functions read, write etc - Working fine

I have no idea. I don't know which part may be broken.

>>>Hi; thanks for giving us back this information and the timeline of your troubleshooting results. It appears to me that at this point in the process you still have 2 things to try, but my initial diagnosis is that your Motherboard has developed a coincidental failure since your initial install of Win8.1. Since the dawn of laptops, I have purchased and repaired literally thousands of laptops; my troubleshooting diagnoses are usually right about 97% of the time or better, as proven out over 3 decades.

Since we don't know what country you are in we don't know the cost of repair, but in the US, a Motherboard replacement at an authorized repair shop or depot runs from $275-$450 or more. Can be up to $1,500 US in certain countries such as Norway. You can certainly pursue further software repairs; but
NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!! This is one of my "mantras" in the computer repair biz I've developed over the years.

You still have yet to run the W10 clean install from scratch on a new or different hard drive along with the COMPATIBILITY TEST I suggested you run in my POST #23. Without doing these 2 you are still just guessing what piece of hardware (or software) has failed. You yourself have posted that you believe it's a hardware problem. I very much agree with this analysis based on the fact that you've run all available software repairs we typically recommend (CHKDSK and SFC), as well as all possible combinations of power saver settings. The fact that both your hardware diagnostic tests passed; MEMTEST and SEATOOLS, indicates a Mobo failure.:waah: The only was to make sure is to replace your hard drive, and then perform a W10 clean install as I have mentioned above in this post and also in POST #23. I'm not sure why you haven't done this yet, as it will provide conclusive proof that your hardware has failed. Perhaps you haven't had the time. I've seen threads continue like this for over a year, and in most cases, the problem never gets resolved because the laptop owner refuses to perform these procedures, or they are too "difficult", or too time consuming, or whatever. Hey, it's your laptop and your problem.:hide:

As for what you do next that's up to you. I understand that the store that sold you that laptop with some version of FREEDOS may not be a scam in your country, but it would certainly be here in the US; ASUS does not sell this configuration here and is prohibited by law from doing so.:noway: The fact that you have a warranty and haven't yet even contacted ASUS, the manufacturer, tells me you are still not convinced we know what we are talking about, or you don't believe us for some reason.:andwhat: That's too bad for you; as you are no closer to fixing your problem than you were when you made your first post here. At some point, you'll think back to this thread and realize you have few choices: live with problem forever, stop using the laptop and throw it in a drawer, or step up and call ASUS and initiate a warranty repair and get it fixed! This will cost you a little bit of money and you will have to pay $50-$75 US or more to ship them your laptop; however with a free hardware repair paid for by ASUS and return free shipping back to you after the repair is completed, that certainly has to be contemplated in your future at some point.

For your future reference, here's the link to the ASUS contact and global support site with phone numbers for you to call:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Call Us

Best of luck, :up:, let us know how it turns out.
BBJ

could you please show us the advanced power button setting you have enabled on this laptop?
in any event I recommend;
  • press the power icon to open basic settings
  • then press the "chose what power buttions do"
  • disable all the advanced shutdown options
Screenshot (65).png

Screenshot (64).png

>>>Hi; thanks for giving us back this information and the timeline of your troubleshooting results. It appears to me that at this point in the process you still have 2 things to try, but my initial diagnosis is that your Motherboard has developed a coincidental failure since your initial install of Win8.1. Since the dawn of laptops, I have purchased and repaired literally thousands of laptops; my troubleshooting diagnoses are usually right about 97% of the time or better, as proven out over 3 decades.

Since we don't know what country you are in we don't know the cost of repair, but in the US, a Motherboard replacement at an authorized repair shop or depot runs from $275-$450 or more. Can be up to $1,500 US in certain countries such as Norway. You can certainly pursue further software repairs; but
NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!! This is one of my "mantras" in the computer repair biz I've developed over the years.

You still have yet to run the W10 clean install from scratch on a new or different hard drive along with the COMPATIBILITY TEST I suggested you run in my POST #23. Without doing these 2 you are still just guessing what piece of hardware (or software) has failed. You yourself have posted that you believe it's a hardware problem. I very much agree with this analysis based on the fact that you've run all available software repairs we typically recommend (CHKDSK and SFC), as well as all possible combinations of power saver settings. The fact that both your hardware diagnostic tests passed; MEMTEST and SEATOOLS, indicates a Mobo failure.:waah: The only was to make sure is to replace your hard drive, and then perform a W10 clean install as I have mentioned above in this post and also in POST #23. I'm not sure why you haven't done this yet, as it will provide conclusive proof that your hardware has failed. Perhaps you haven't had the time. I've seen threads continue like this for over a year, and in most cases, the problem never gets resolved because the laptop owner refuses to perform these procedures, or they are too "difficult", or too time consuming, or whatever. Hey, it's your laptop and your problem.:hide:

As for what you do next that's up to you. I understand that the store that sold you that laptop with some version of FREEDOS may not be a scam in your country, but it would certainly be here in the US; ASUS does not sell this configuration here and is prohibited by law from doing so.:noway: The fact that you have a warranty and haven't yet even contacted ASUS, the manufacturer, tells me you are still not convinced we know what we are talking about, or you don't believe us for some reason.:andwhat: That's too bad for you; as you are no closer to fixing your problem than you were when you made your first post here. At some point, you'll think back to this thread and realize you have few choices: live with problem forever, stop using the laptop and throw it in a drawer, or step up and call ASUS and initiate a warranty repair and get it fixed! This will cost you a little bit of money and you will have to pay $50-$75 US or more to ship them your laptop; however with a free hardware repair paid for by ASUS and return free shipping back to you after the repair is completed, that certainly has to be contemplated in your future at some point.

For your future reference, here's the link to the ASUS contact and global support site with phone numbers for you to call:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Call Us

Best of luck, :up:, let us know how it turns out.
BBJ
Thank you for all the help, and the time you put into this thread. You're perfectly right, I'll just use the warranty.

could you please show us the advanced power button setting you have enabled on this laptop?
in any event I recommend;
  • press the power icon to open basic settings
  • then press the "chose what power buttions do"
  • disable all the advanced shutdown options
Umm, there already is a screenshot of that in POST #1
I also said the same problem is on Linux, so... It has nothing to do with those options. And when I tried my sleep function I did it from START -> POWER -> SLEEP

Hi! Here's my thoughts. I have a Toshiba lap top, going on 5 years old. I have it set to never sleep. It's either on or off. To me the sleep feature is just a gimmick and totally worthless IMHO. If that's the only problem I was having, I wouldn't risk having it sent off some where and coming back with more problems then you have now. Those are my thoughts.;):)

Your 1st post does not show us the advanced power “startup” options;

The fact that Linux has an issue does not mean the cause isn’t a windows software glitch and the option to sleep from the start-power menu is controlled from the advanced shutdown settings that I posted in my second image… (temporary) disabling them as I suggest will clear any bad data currently stored in that setting which is often enough to resolve errors caused by Windows software.

I see you have decided to go with your warrantee which is solid advice from BIGBEARJEDI so good luck with that.

I agree as well as long as there is a guaranty why deal with this....good luck and please come back and tell us what you learn.

Warranty probably wont cover this. The rasman process is software that is preventing sleep and the device is probably not compatible with Windows 10 so again it comes down to software which warranties don't cover.

Back