Windows 8 Windows 8.1 asks for key after recovery.

Jarvice

Hi, yesterday I wanted to delete everything on my PC so I put Windows 8.1 on a USB and started the recovery process. I read online that Windows would remember my product key in the bios but It's now asking for a product key. I got Windows pre installed so I don't have the key anymore. Can I get my key back from the bios somehow?

Thanks in advance.

What method were you employing?

8.1 on a USB? Recovery is within the installed OS.

If it is a fairly new computer, then it should automatically find the OEM bios key. For older models, the key should be somewhere on the a label on the underside of the case.

It asked for a disk with Windows on it. I don't have that so I put a Windows ISO on my USB and then started the recovery process. I was expecting it to find the key from the Bios but it keeps asking for a key everytime I start my PC.

Maybe I should add that it is a laptop that had Windows 7 installed originally but when Windows 8.1 came out I bought it and installed that instead.

Well, if you bought windows 8.1 didn't you get a key with the purchase?

Well I used the key once and now I have no idea where it is. I didn't think that this would cause any problems because it was made very clear that the key should stay in the Bios... which it didn't.

Pardon me for butting in........

"because it was made very clear that the key should stay in the Bios..."

You have been misinformed or you have misinterpreted the information.
The info applies ONLY to Win 8 or 8.1 pre-installed in the computer.
Your computer was preinstalled with Win 7.

I don't know if you can still do this........ If you can login, google for Belarc Advisor or Produkey.
Hopefully, either one will give you your win8/8.1 product key.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom