Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Preview now available.

I don't know about others but I find the one in Windows 8.1 easier to use. After running Windows 8 and 8.1 I do find going back to Windows 7 start button a little awkward. But that is just me. Have no idea about what experience others have had with it.

Although I am not using 8.1 any differently than Windows 8 I do find something noticeable. I am running it as a VM w/ 2GB RAM. Yet, I, really, find it snappier than 8.0 & IE11 faster than IE10.

The changes, I think people will like. For me, those things are a bit of a moot point since, I never left the Desktop screen (in Win8) for anything and I, still, don't w/ 8.1. And never was a bother to hit ENTER to have Desktop on rare boot occasions. Certainly, additionally, there are other things to 8.1 that are, also, assets.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

I will poke a stick at it, then actually make a comparison video between it and ubuntu.
Not on how fast it is, but how I feel in general windows is getting things wrong compared to Ubuntus unity.
Dont worry it wont be nasty folks but from a perspective that sees the big gaping holes in Microsofts current direction.

I have to agree with Drew that 8.1 seems to have more snap to it. I am running 8.1 on a second hard drive. The only concerns I have is I use my internet providers anti-virus. Right now their downloader isn't compatible with 8.1. Called them and I hope by the time 8.1 is released they will have it fixed. I know many don't like Norton but I have no complaints about it. It has been doing its job for me.

Last edited:
Well I will say that yeah windows 8.1 does seem pretty snappy, even in a VM.
Actually that is one of the few positives about windows 8 in general, it virtualizes quite nicely.
Still though I am not seeing any real improvement over 8 in terms of the inherit flaws of the OS, it still relies on side scrolling and nonsense like that.

Or just see it as something new and a bit different from the past and use w/out bashing... Not all that helpful for / to others.

And maybe learn ALL about 8.1 instead of solely dwelling on the superficial cosmetics.

Plus, saying Win8 is full of flaws is your opinion. Many don't hold your view. Nor is it right to be saying it to people who may not be familiar w/ the OS, yet, as if it is fact and not just your opinion.

Cheers,
Drew

I have to agree with Drew that 8.1 seems to have more snap to it. I am running 8.1 on a second hard drive. The only concerns I have is I use my internet providers anti-virus. Right now their downloader isn't compatible with 8.1. Called them and I hope by the time 8.1 is released they will have it fixed. I know many don't like Norton but I have no complaints about it. It has been doing its job for me.

That's true, do not like Norton. Can have better performance from a machine and @ no cost.

Cheers,
Drew

Or just see it as something new and a bit different from the past and use w/out bashing... Not all that helpful for / to others.

And maybe learn ALL about 8.1 instead of solely dwelling on the superficial cosmetics.

Plus, saying Win8 is full of flaws is your opinion. Many don't hold your view. Nor is it right to be saying it to people who may not be familiar w/ the OS, yet, as if it is fact and not just your opinion.

Cheers,
Drew

No I intend to be negative when I will see it fit.
I dont treat things like this with kiddie gloves.
Its not about what OS is better, its more of what an OS should do for the user.
And for me I think its clear there is a lot of wrong with Windows 8, and I know I am not the only one.
Heck today i shown my father who is in the market for a new laptop the Windows 8.1 preview and he flat out said to me he rather use ubuntu (something he actually uses)
That to me shows something, when linux something that many say seems hard to use looks easier then windows many say to be easy to use you know you did wrong.

That's true, do not like Norton. Can have better performance from a machine and @ no cost.

Cheers,
Drew

I have not noticed any difference in my performance with or without Norton. The Norton 360 I am using comes through my service provider free of charge. Sorry but have not had any problems with Norton 2012 or the 2013 versions. Surfing the web or doing other things online has not been hindered.

Back