Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Windows updates and store updates help needed ASAP

JuanGoosen

Not to be clichéd, but
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

I know this is a VERY long post, but PLEASE, some tech genius has to read it and help me. I'm going to University in two weeks and really need my laptop to be working and up to date.

I hope SOMEONE can help me with this problem as I have been struggling for a few days and tried numerous solutions and even downloaded repair programs and reset my laptop, everything to no avail.

A few days ago I received my Lenovo G5040 laptop. It has Windows 8.1 preinstalled, (64-bit) with 6GB Ran and an Intel i3 dual core 1.7GHz processor. This is the first time I work with Windows 8 so it is a new experience for me.

I found it entertaining at first, and I really enjoyed the layout and GUI, as well as the vast array of apps available in the Store. However, the trouble began when I tried to download VLC media player from the Store. It showed the download was pending, then it actually started downloading, and got about halfway before stalling. I then cancelled it and started it again. This time I got an error code, I think it was 0x80080206, and I decided to try again later.

I exited the program and later when I went to check again, I was confronted with about 27 apps that needed to update. I started the update, only to see that all of the apps only kept pending, and the two that started to download also encountered an error. Again I decided to leave it until later.

This was when I went to PC Settings to check if there were any Windows updates I had to do. Turned out I had nearly 1.5GB worth of updates there, but decided to only run the important and recommended updates at first. I left the laptop to let them finish, and then returned to the store, but encountered the same problem. I tried downloading other apps as well, with the same result: either pending or error code 0x80080206.

Then I took to the Internet to find a solution, and I found that this was a pretty common problem on Windows 8. It seemed that most of the solutions involved resetting the Store cache (WSReset.exe), stopping the update service from the command prompt and then deleting or renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder, using a repair app to find corrupted files, or simply using the troubleshooter.

Ofcourse I tried ALL of these, again, to no avail. I couldn't stop wuauserv at first, then I couldn't delete the folder because "another app had been using it" (I DID run the command prompt in admin and yes I did terminate the Store from the task manager and cleared the cache before trying this)

I tried combinations of the solutions and rebooted the PC multiple times. In the end I did a system recovery, no results. Then a website told me to boot in safe mode by using a command like MS... something in Run and then choose a certain option (I cant remember anymore) and then to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. However my laptop decided it would not boot past a screen with shut down and restart options at the bottom right and accessibility options on the bottom left. I was stuck in safe mode with NOTHING working. I then had to do the OneKey reset, lost all my settings etc. and was stuck with the same problem.

BUT, now it was worse. I had to redo the windows updates I did before the reset, and found that the updates only ran to about 20% then stopped. When I cancelled them and tried to find the updates again, it kept searching for updates forever. I closed the program and returned, only to find that when I click Updates and Recovery, PC Settings spontaneously minimized. I did ANOTHER system recovery, and found the updates again, but again they stalled 20%.

So now I am stuck with outdated software and apps, without a solution, and very little patience left for Windows 8.

Any any any help would be appreciated, even if it is a repeat of earlier solutions. Maybe if someone guides me through them it works better.

But please help me. Before this laptop meets the wall.

How long have you had this laptop with windows 8.1? Do you have any thing of real importance installed on it...ie pictures, data? If so back all that up to a DVD or USB drive. Once that is done you can try one of 3 things....a refresh, reset or restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Personally, if this were mine, I would choose the reset since this is a fairly new laptop and just simply start from a new.

How long have you had this laptop with windows 8.1? Do you have any thing of real importance installed on it...ie pictures, data? If so back all that up to a DVD or USB drive. Once that is done you can try one of 3 things....a refresh, reset or restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Personally, if this were mine, I would choose the reset since this is a fairly new laptop and just simply start from a new.
I received the laptop on Friday. I have already done a reset back to factory default, to no avail. I have also refreshed the laptop and restored it. None worked.

Thank you for your reply though, I appreciate it!

Next step it to contact Lenovo directly and reporting the issue to them.....it may be a defect in the laptop and under warranty could be replaced.

Back