Windows 8 Windows 8 beta: What works, what still needs work

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
After spending a couple weeks working with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, here’s what I think works and doesn’t work in this beta. Some early complaints are overblown, but there’s no denying the split personality of Windows 8 has reshaped the user experience.

Source: Yahoo! News

It's OK, the ones who adopts to this OS will be fine. Life is all about change, there are those of us who chooses to remain stuck in the past, & those of us who wants to move forward. That being said, the human brain has amazing capabilities, of being able to adapt to it's surroundings. Like in the workforce, there's always changes. Many doesn't "like" it, but comes to accept it over time.

Come long, many of those old XP machines are going to break down, and some repairs will cost more than the computer is worth. Where are they going to turn? Come this fall, Windows 7 won't be an option, as retail production will end late spring/early summer. Only special orders of Windows 7 will be taken.

I take part of that back. Windows 7 will be an option, but one will have to buy the Windows 8 computer first, then go to Newegg & grab a Windows 7 install disk & COA, of which many system builders will be loading up on, leaving even fewer to choose from. By then, these etailers will be able to charge what they want for Windows 7, just as some legit sellers of XP Pro are selling them for $315. So once Windows 8 hits the market, Windows 7 OS prices are going up, and so will any leftover computers with it installed.

It would be a lot less costly & far more beneficial for users to grab Windows 8 CP, use it & learn. Because there's no turning back. The Windows 7/XP Start Menu & other similar features are going to be gone forever.

And I'm glad of it. We need a new Windows, reinvented from top to bottom. This isn't the mid 90's any longer.

Cat

"The Windows 7/XP Start Menu & other similar features are going to be gone forever."

Not sure about that? 11 years and XP is still going strong. Windows 7, a superior OS in every respect, has a long future ahead. It'll certainly outlive me !
But, on the article. I test new products for partially, fun and hobby, and also for pro purposes. This article, like so many before it, still focuses on the Metro touch screen, and no mention of the performance. The latter would be the deciding factor for me and, more so, businesses. As I have just said, on another thread, benchmarks are starting to appear now and there is nothing to show, so far, that the performance improvement 7 to 8, compares in any way to the same XP to 7. The "extras" which 8 offers can all be incorporated into Windows 7, either by MS or by third part programs - often free. The touch screen, as can be seen from posts, is the one and only major talking point so far.

There's still plenty of time for that to change. Hopefully it will before Windows 8 CP goes RTM, that's still at least 6 to 7 months away. I just read an article today, where there has been thousands of changes made since 02/29/12. The install that I done today was far less buggy than the one I installed on Day 1.

But like you, I also test new products for hobby, mainly to kill time. Beats looking at 4 walls & all of those old reruns on TV. Whether Windows 8 become a big hit or not, I don't know, but it'll work for me, at least on my desktop.

Many users who keeps up with things also knows that the original Metro ideas surfaced over a year ago, probably longer. I started reading about these ideas when I was still a TechNet member. Not quite like everyone has been caught with their pants down. And for those who doesn't want the Metro UI, Windows 7 will be a good option for years to come.

And too, there's always going to be those software writers who will introduce apps to get around some of this. As for me, I'll run it as is, because I'm going to have to learn it anyway. Why not now?

Cat

Yes. Well, I have grandkids with expensive tastes. In different forms, they have all been using touch screens for some time - could teach me a thing or two, that's for sure!

P.S. I reckon the manufacturers of screen cleaning fluids are laughing on their way to the bank!

Back